Correct Procedures - Contaminated CH Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant ecoTec Plus 837 R1.
(Combi - closed system)

Magnaclean Twin-tech on return (System filter).

Inhibitor Sentinel x100 (Two years ago).

This is the colour of the radiator water:

IMG_9658.jpeg

IMG_9619.jpeg

I'm asking for some guidance on how to get this sorted.

Could it be that this is rust, and that not enough inhibitor was in the system?

A) What do you suspect is going on?

B) Is it a bad idea to powerflush 25 year old pipework.

C) What would be a sensible way to sort this situation out, and get the system ready for winter. I really want to resolve this situation properly. The boiler is in very good nick. There have been no issues other than diverter valve (after 8 years), pcb board & expansion vessel (once).

All replaced once since 2010. Recently.

T's & C's - Any boiler 'case off' work will be done by a gas certified engineer. No exceptions.

My thanks to any willing to contribute.

Sponsored Links
How much debris - if any - is being caught by the mag filter? You could also run a test on the system water.

If there's little or not debris in the filter then that system water colour with its lack of turbidity could just be an older inhibited system, though I would be happier if it was straw coloured rather than being that darker shade. If there is little or no debris in the mag filter and the rads are heating happily and evenly all over, then I wouldn't recommend a powerflush, simply not needed.

I would suggest you could happily get away with a cleaner in the system for a week or 2 ,then a gravity drain and mains flush till it runs clean. Then correctly inhibit.

Water looks clear despite the colour which as madrab has said could be down to the inhibitor .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back