Crack in garage walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone, just moved home and got a lot of jobs to to do so probably going to be on here a lot. Hope you are all well.

Firstly I want to get some opinions on this, in the garage (was packed with rubbish on the survey) I have cleared it out and want to paint garage and sort it out, i also was thinking of getting bricks above garage door rather than the cladding what is on and this would add more weight to front of garage ,but there is a larage crack going to down the brickwork. It looks like it is where it has had the porch and garage extended at some point, will get some better pictures of the front when get home to give you better idea. The crack is quite thick at top as has some very old alarm wiring going through it that I need to remove so not sure if this is very old. Any opinions welcome . Not sure if to get a builder or structural engineer out to have a look to make sure ok, I will attatch pictures.

Any help appreciated Thanks dean

Attachments

• 20240914_220013.jpg
    20240914_220013.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240917_112905.jpg
    20240917_112905.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240917_112855.jpg
    20240917_112855.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240427_164502_Rightmove.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_164502_Rightmove.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Common, don't worry about it unless it moves more. Fill it with filler and paint it, and expect it to hairline crack again afterwards, but you can then see if it is continuing to move over the next couple of years.

Check if that roof is still leaking though and deal with that if it is.

Thanks for that bit peace of mind , will get filled in with mortar , you think adding bricks above garage outfront where the cladding is would be ok still ? Think looks better if not to costly.

Thanks dean

It depends on whether the bricks can be added and look like they were meant to be there. The issues are getting a match in texture and colour - plus mortar, and bonding them into the existing either side.

Also, at the moment that cladding is lining through with the windows as it should, when you add the bricks they may be at a different level which then may not look as good as you think it might

Sponsored Links
It depends on whether the bricks can be added and look like they were meant to be there. The issues are getting a match in texture and colour - plus mortar, and bonding them into the existing either side.

Also, at the moment that cladding is lining through with the windows as it should, when you add the bricks they may be at a different level which then may not look as good as you think it might
Will have a think, you think weight wise will be OK and not open crack more etc ? Wonder if ties we not used enough or something but I do think it's a old cracking. Thanks again

That crack looks very old and more like shrinkage than anything else, and if the staining was a longer term leak, then that would add to the shrinkage as it dried.
Either way, adding a few courses of bricks won't make the situation worse - if that wall was going to move it would do so anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back