Cracks on external brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed some cracks above a patio door and need some advice about what I should do as I am very worried. I'm not sure how long they have been there. The house is late1940's and previous owner had patio doors put in. I have lived in the house for about 23years. I am concerned about what is causing this cracking and fear the dreaded word subsidence. Or maybe a lintel problem? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

1727516065479.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No, I think they would have been noticed long before now!. What I meant was that they could have been there for months or weeks. Definitely not 23 years!.

So they may have been there since before you moved in?
No, I think they would have been noticed long before now!. What I meant was that they could have been there for months or weeks. Definitely not 23 years!.

Sponsored Links
Probably more to do with the opening than subsidence, was there an opening there before the patio door where installed?

I'm guessing there was but not easy to tell from that picture and being 25yrs old.
I think it's safe to assume that there was a window there before the patio door. The other half of the semi detached still has a window. It's at the same height and same width, going off the soldier bricks. Could it be that there's no lintel, or a damaged/exhausted one?

I've seen this on a lot of ex council houses built in the 50's, originally with steel critall windows and doors which at the time were considered structural so no lintels were used.
One by one they were replaced with upvc by people not knowing that additional support was required. The house isn't going to fall down but it definitely needs attention. Get a few builders in for quotes.
If @noseall reads this he'll probably know whats required and what size job it is.

I've seen this on a lot of ex council houses built in the 50's, originally with steel critall windows and doors which at the time were considered structural so no lintels were used.
One by one they were replaced with upvc by people not knowing that additional support was required. The house isn't going to fall down but it definitely needs attention. Get a few builders in for quotes.
If @noseall reads this he'll probably know whats required and what size job it is.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to get builders in to quote. Judging from the replies I have already had I am relieved that nobody thinks it's subsidence.

Sponsored Links
Back