Cracks on external brickwork

Thanks for the reply. I am going to get builders in to quote. Judging from the replies I have already had I am relieved that nobody thinks it's subsidence.

And as far as I'm aware it's not a major job and can be carried out with the doors in situ.
Bear in mind the same will apply to all the windows but probably not an issue, I'm only aware of two people who had work done and that was only to the patio doors.

Sponsored Links
It isn't a common construction method.
yes it is loads of 1930`s/40`s houses are like that and we have estates of 1960`s houses with only a tiny metal bar as a lintel and as a result they are now suffering cracks like are in the picture

Sponsored Links
I've seen this on a lot of ex council houses built in the 50's, originally with steel critall windows and doors which at the time were considered structural so no lintels were used.
One by one they were replaced with upvc by people not knowing that additional support was required. The house isn't going to fall down but it definitely needs attention. Get a few builders in for quotes.
If @noseall reads this he'll probably know whats required and what size job it is.
yep mate owns double glazing firm and he informs the people that they will suffer this exact scenario and quotes for remedial work at same time

Mackers you can get that repaired with a crack stitching kit, no need to go crazy and start knocking bricks out.
your original window would have been built in the house as they where constructing it and would have been designed to be load bearing which your pvc window isn't.

Mackers you can get that repaired with a crack stitching kit, no need to go crazy and start knocking bricks out.
your original window would have been built in the house as they where constructing it and would have been designed to be load bearing which your pvc window isn't.
Thanks for the reply. Luckily there are only 2 bricks cracked through and the rest is following the mortar.

Back