Customer service from main dealers, it is always this bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a car, which was previously a lease.

Part of the lease package meant that I never had to concern myself with services or tyres etc.

After the end of the lease, I decided to buy it as there was nothing on the market any more that matched what I wanted.

So now I have to book all the services myself and deal with the garage in terms of asking for prices and information.

Is customer service at main dealers always this bad?

The service is due and I only think the car needs an interim service this year as I did so few miles.

But, I emailed them asking for the different services they offer and the costing for each (oil change only, interim and full) and if there is anything on the long term service schedule that is due for replacement (fan belt, timing belt etc).

Is this not a reasonable question/request?

I get a one line response telling me the price of their cheapest service with no other detail.

I know that interim usually means oil change and filter.....but...surely I have the right to check and get some detail as a customer ....or am I just expecting too much.

(I know I can move from a main dealer, but there is a warranty item on the car that means it is beneficial to stay with them until it expires)

Sponsored Links
Now I am left wondering what this warranty actually is.

My experience, based on friends, is that main dealers treat all customers like idiots and expect to do as much as they can based on the manufacturer's recommendations and do not react well to anyone questioning their expectations.

Also I am aware of a main dealer who "forgot" to change a fuel filter causing it to fail an MOT with them and wanting to charge a lot to do things which were not necessary to make it pass.

I have a car, which was previously a lease.

Part of the lease package meant that I never had to concern myself with services or tyres etc.

After the end of the lease, I decided to buy it as there was nothing on the market any more that matched what I wanted.

So now I have to book all the services myself and deal with the garage in terms of asking for prices and information.

Is customer service at main dealers always this bad?

The service is due and I only think the car needs an interim service this year as I did so few miles.

But, I emailed them asking for the different services they offer and the costing for each (oil change only, interim and full) and if there is anything on the long term service schedule that is due for replacement (fan belt, timing belt etc).

Is this not a reasonable question/request?

I get a one line response telling me the price of their cheapest service with no other detail.

I know that interim usually means oil change and filter.....but...surely I have the right to check and get some detail as a customer ....or am I just expecting too much.

(I know I can move from a main dealer, but there is a warranty item on the car that means it is beneficial to stay with them until it expires)
I don't know what car it is, but generally, they have a service book. It details in there, what service, when needed, and what's changed or serviced.

Also i don't think any dealer has an oil only change option (it always includes filter).

But choose the relevant mileage/service needed and ask about that.

Main dealers are often hard work to deal with as they just expect the car in at every service interval and just do the service accordingly. But in fairness to them, a lot of customers think an oil and filter change is a normal service.

Now I am left wondering what this warranty actually is.
It's the citroen adblue system.

In a perfect world it should be a recall item due to it being seemingly being poor design, but citroen have thus far refused to class it as such.

It's a bit of a known scandal for citroen/peugeot owners. Although I suspect the issue could be exacerbated by poor maintenance of and incorrect refilling of the adblue tank.

They now have relented somewhat and cover it for up to 8 years with a potential 50% discount on the replacement cost. But, it seems that having main dealer services until then helps your case a lot, as they deal with each claim on a case by case basis.

Based on the high chances this might affect me at some point....it seems to be worth holding out for 2 more years.

Sponsored Links
Also I am aware of a main dealer who "forgot" to change a fuel filter causing it to fail an MOT with them and wanting to charge a lot to do things which were not necessary to make it pass.

I used to run new company cars, which naturally would go to main stealers for the services. I found they would naturally seek out extra work, usually which didn't need to be done, and claim for parts of the service, simply not done, including oil changes. Point was, who normally bothers to check work has been done, on company lease vehicles?

So putting on my cynic hat (which I seem to wear permanently these days).

The reason they probably don't want to tell me about scheduled service items beforehand is that it's more likely they can make me relent into getting them done once they have the car. :unsure:

The reason they probably don't want to tell me about scheduled service items beforehand is that it's more likely they can make me relent into getting them done once they have the car. :unsure:

The service booklet (do they still issue them), will indicate what each service involves, and includes.

Indeed it should, but citroen seemingly skip that part.

The service book is useless. But I have found the schedule online.

But, I asked the question anyway (partly playing dumb), as I ideally want to know the cost of the service items beforehand. But they are avoiding the answer.

I bought my van that was 2.5 years old from the company who had it from new. They included all the invoices from the dealers from services, repairs, etc. Ran to several thousand pounds and I was shocked at the parts they changed over and over again. Some of these continually changed parts (often brake parts) are still on the van and I haven't needed to change them again in 17.5 years of ownership. Doubt I have spent as much in my long ownership on servicing and repairs that were spent in it's first 2.5 years of life.

Main stealers indeed!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back