Cut edge against full tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to lay a tiled floor in my hallway. Unfortunately, it's got lots of angles, alcoves and external corners. I would like to lay a patterned tile with border, but its unlikely to work out due to the number of unmatched walls.

I was thinking of laying the tiles as best I can and lay in a plain border tile around the perimeter. This may lead to me cutting tiles short of the light wall to create a suitable border.

I'm concerned that the 'cut' edge of the tile won't look right against an uncut tile edge. Has anyone done this before and has the grout blended these 2 edges together?
Obviously the cut edge will be sharper and won't have that slightly bevelled edge.

Thanks J

Sponsored Links
Could you use full tiles and then cut border tile ( large enough to cover remaining gaps ) to walls

Problem is. There won't be a uniform border around unless I cut the main tiles due to the walls being unequal. I was thinking that originally but it could look strange in places where the border is much deeper than other places.

I could try the file and smooth out the edges for the grout.

Sponsored Links
Can you provide an image of the layout of the tiles you plan to use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back