Cutting off moulded plug - warranty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm fitting a new electric fire and i want to cut off the moulded plug and wire the cable into the back off a switched fused spur.
Do you think there would be any problems with this and my warranty?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No.

And:

Read the manufacturer's instructions and they probably say wording similar to:

"...is fitted with a fused plug... if not suitable cut off and dispose of safely..."

Nothing about cutting the plug off but it does say it can be connected to a switched FCU

Sponsored Links
I've spoken to the manufacturer and they said it won't void the warranty but has to be done by a qualified electrician and that I need to have keep proof of it being done by them..
I'll do it myself and get proof later if it is needed (hopefully not)

You could amuse yourself by asking if that demand is contractually binding (would have to be agreed before purchase) and if it has ever been upheld in court.

I'd lay a pound on No and No.

Yeah...if the fcu already exists all I'd essential be doing is wiring a plug anyway

I've spoken to the manufacturer and they said it won't void the warranty but has to be done by a qualified electrician and that I need to have keep proof of it being done by them..
I'll do it myself and get proof later if it is needed (hopefully not)
Rather than asking the manufacturer about the warranty try asking the retailer you bought it from instead. The retailer would be your first point of call in the event of a fault because your statutory consumers rights are with them and not the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back