Damaged a meter neutral feed cable to CU

Would certainly be an improvement, but you would have to take into account that the ends of the SWA would need terminating with glands, that would need to be connected to the consumer unit, which is plastic. So some sort of metal enclosure would be required.

Sponsored Links
What about a piece of split con out of the bottom of the meter cabinet, along the wall where the brick courses change colour, to the corner and then straight up in the corner outside, and drilled straight through to the CU?

Or alternatively, a piece of split con stright from the meter box to the CU up the cavity? Not the ideal soloution, but it's better than whats there at the moment.

As the tails are already just behind the inner skin wouldn't it be better to just run them in the cavity instead of through that thermal block as it is currently.

Be sure to replace the damaged tail rather than 'tape' it up as was suggested at the beginning of this topic. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I will update this thread when I get some response from Bryant. In the meantime would there be a record of who performed the electrical work with some central agency like a trade body?

Just met with a really efficient and friendly Customer Service manager in Taylor-Wimpey, who is going to get on the case for me, so fingers xed!
Apparently the installation company is Clarkson-Evans electrical contractors who are a national firm, so watch this space!

Well what a day! I went to Taylor-wimpey around 9.45 and they had someone telephone from Clarkson Evans within an hour to arrange an assessment of the install.

The engineers came at 1400 hrs and found the tails were going diagonally and not straight up the wall! They replaced the tails and chased them in, the specified 35mm before covering with triple layers of steel trunking - see pictures below. The wall now needs to be completely reboarded and the ceiling repaired too, but hopefully they will be sending someone to sort this out after confirmation tomorrow. Only trouble is I still won't be able to hang the toilet roll holder on that wall due to all the steel trunking but at least it now meets the regs and is safe!

I can't fault the response from Taylor-wimpey and Clarkson-Evans who have been superb, so thumbs up for excellent customer service and a big thank you to all concerned.

add my "hmm" to that.

35 mm into a horizontal breeze block wall ?

Looks like that "protective" metal is not earthed. Should it be earthed ? I suppose it will be impossible to drill through it by accident and then get a screw in to connect the live tail to the sheet of metal.....

Why are you hmming so much?

Thats not breeze block, it's thermal aircon block which is like butter compared. I was told that if chased in and capped then there is no prescribed safe zone under the current regs and that this would be fine.

I also asked about running in the cavity but that's not allowed apparently.
I would have preferred running the other side of the window but they didn't want to create more mess than already there and beggars can't be choosers.

Isn't trunking the same as capping? It's definitely triple layers of capping.

Feel like my parade is being rained on now.... is it really not ok?

The capping doesn't really count for anything and that installation is now only just marginally better than it was before.

It seems to be a bizarre and pointless remedy.

Isn't trunking the same as capping?

Capping:
SC2.JPG

Trunking:
UVT2.JPG

Note how one is as thin as a piece of paper and the other is thick enough to shrug off a casual drilling.

ahh I can see the difference now. Damn, this is going to be awkward as I am not a sparky and can't tell them their job. Any tips on stuff I can put to them? Am I supposed to get a certificate of safety for the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back