Damp spot in new plaster. How to manage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Looking for advice in how to handle a damp spot in new plaster skim. Solid brick walls

This spot has not fully dried out. When it rains or is humid in the room, the patch gets bigger (second pic). There is no external indication of water being able to get in here but previously there looks to have been some holes filled in with filler internally that correspond almost exactly to where this spot is, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Do I need to hack off plaster and see what is going on below? If it is old filler having an effect here, what would I need to replace it with?

Alternatively, is there a type of paint that is can use that will be able to hide this? I have read that one can apply salt neutraliser to stop efflorescence then paint. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 3
Sponsored Links
Get a summer fan blowing on it. Not heat just air movement.
Should see a difference in a day. If it don't go or comes back you know it needs looking at.

Thanks. Sorry. Should have said that I have had a crack at that already. That first pic is about as small as the spot has gotten after a good few weeks of warm weather and dehumidifiers and also put a hair dryer in it for a while.

So is hacking out plaster down to the brick the only option then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back