Dealing with rusting old balconies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a big hole where the rust pushed out, and gaps where rusting metal seems to be separating. How do I prep this? Two part filler?
IMG-20240901-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20240901-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240901-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240901-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20240901-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20240901-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks from here that the steel reinforcing rods have had weather ingress, and have rusted and blown the concrete surround away......is that correct?
John :)

To do the job properly you need to remove all the glass, remove any bedding compound, grind away all rust to bare metal, prime, paint and then refit glass.

Sponsored Links
There is some sort of liquid metal stuff available.

Sanding, rust-beating primer, and two pack filler sounds reasonable - as long as you remember it will only be a superficial repair and nothing more.

No sense it making it too brilliant - hopefully it will show signs of rust again in a few years, and that might persuade those with power to replace those old dodgy railings before someone comes to grief.

20240903_174541.jpg
20240903_174539.jpg
20240903_174537.jpg

Sanding, rust-beating primer, and two pack filler sounds reasonable - as long as you remember it will only be a superficial repair and nothing more.
20240903_174541.jpg
20240903_174539.jpg
20240903_174537.jpg

No sense it making it too brilliant - hopefully it will show signs of rust again in a few years, and that might persuade those with power to replace those old dodgy railings before someone comes to grief.
U think two part filler in the hole at top then
Should I put it in the gap going horizontal too or just paint it and explain to the customer the balcony needs replacing in the future?

View attachment 354377View attachment 354378View attachment 354379

View attachment 354377View attachment 354378View attachment 354379
U think two part filler in the hole at top then
Should I put it in the gap going horizontal too or just paint it and explain to the customer the balcony needs replacing in the future?
It looks from here that the steel reinforcing rods have had weather ingress, and have rusted and blown the concrete surround away......is that correct?
Not sure what u mean by concrete surround?

I'm talking about the concrete plinth at the bottom of the balcony steel work.......water has got in, rusted the rebar which has expanded and blown the cement away. It's a bit difficult to tell from here.
The steel uprights have massive corrosion.....is there some sort of timber infill present, or is it just metal?
None of my business but you should really look at the safety aspects here, I think.......things must be severely weakened in parts.

I'm talking about the concrete plinth at the bottom of the balcony steel work.......water has got in, rusted the rebar which has expanded and blown the cement away. It's a bit difficult to tell from here.
The steel uprights have massive corrosion.....is there some sort of timber infill present, or is it just metal?
None of my business but you should really look at the safety aspects here, I think.......things must be severely weakened in parts.
Think just metal. Do you think where the steel goes into the floor it could snap?

I can't say - but wherever steel makes contact with concrete and gets wet, corrosion will be there.
Your first and second picture shows some mighty corrosion and the steel must be weakened. Why it is so evident in that spot is anyone's guess.

I can't say - but wherever steel makes contact with concrete and gets wet, corrosion will be there.
Your first and second picture shows some mighty corrosion and the steel must be weakened. Why it is so evident in that spot is anyone's guess.
U think two part filler for gaps in first and second picture?

I can't see the corrosion Burnerman mentions but maybe I'm missing something.
What I can see is corrosion between what appears to be a glazing bar that is securing the glass into the angle frame.
I have already said what you should do in post no3 - anything else is just a bodge.
Discuss the options with your customer now and let them decide how they would like to proceed.

I was painting lower balcony first, better to do top one first or before final coat on lower one to stop all the crap falling down on it?
20240903_155610.jpg

All glass removed, grit blast the metal back to clean steel, then assess its strength before deciding how to move forward. Any weaknesses will need to be cut out, and good metal welded in. Anything less, and it's a botch job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back