dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been replacing standard switches with dimmer switches through my flat. They've all been singles and really easy to do.

However, yesterday I did my last one, which was two switches on the same plate - one for the bathroom, one for the toilet. everything was the same as before - two red lives for each switch, but on the old switch there was a wire connecting the two switches (this wire was also red) - i'm not sure why this was there - as both lights work independently.

I've wired up the dimmers in the same way as the previous switches, but now one of the dimmers is controlling the entire back half of my house!

Is it something to do with this mystery wire?

rob

Sponsored Links
The link wire was possibly connecting the common terminals of the switches.
One end of the liking wire would have had another red cable in the terminal with it.
Could you have possibly put the link back in but across the the two L1 terminals, this would mean one switch does nothing but the other would operate all the lights.

I'll change the link wire so that it's between the two common terminals and see what happens.

cheers,

rob

Sponsored Links
bertieb said:
I've been replacing standard switches with dimmer switches through my flat. They've all been singles and really easy to do.

However, yesterday I did my last one, which was two switches on the same plate - one for the bathroom, one for the toilet.
Just to double check the dimmer isn't located in the bathroom is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back