Disaster! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please someone help. I have wanted a new bathroom and to take out the airing cupboard where the old boiler used to be. I had 3 builders round to say the wall could be removed as it was a non-supporting wall. The gas safe engineer who moved my boiler could do my bathroom. He has a registered company with insurance. He said he would get his builders in to do this. He is gas safe registered (received building regs for the boiler move) so I agreed. His builders arrive and start knocking out. The next thing I know is hearing thud thud thud and they go get acrow props and a girder. Turns out it was a supporting wall.
I have expressively told them that I want the wall back but they have carried on doing the bathroom telling me I’m panicking over nothing, the house will not collapse. I check my walls and roof for cracks, sagging, bowing and luckily there is nothing.
The gas safe man is not answering my calls.
I am asking what should I do now? Phone my insurance, report him and contact building regs. I am so scared to be in the house right now and can’t sleep at night. I feel so stupid right now. Please be kind if you reply. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Got some pics, what state are things now as in how has it been left? Is there a lintel (or girder as you put it) in now? What was the thud thud thud noise?

Might not be a disaster. Might not be a realistic job to put back as it was.
What you need is assurance that it's to spec.
Get a structural report and explanation so you feel happy. Then enjoy your new bathroom

So - it's clearly not a disaster at the moment.
If it turned out to be a supporting wall, and they didn't go get acrows and a lintel - that might have been a disaster...

Sponsored Links
The thud thud thud were bricks falling. The house still looks solid but I no longer have a buttress on the entire back wall which is 27ft. A girder has gone up and it’s secured on a steel prop. It’s a nightmare. Will I be fined as building control was not needed until now?

No that won't happen, stop panicking if you can, do as we've asked and post some pics, perhaps some before and after plan sketches .... :)

I can’t get into the loft. I have been told this girder now supports the long piece of wood in there which is somehow supporting the roof. Hubby has checked and said it’s secure but I’m panicking. I hear every creak and check every crack.

Back