Discretely securing drawers to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For safety reasons I need a secure an old chest of drawers to a wall. The drawers have a back panel which I’d prefer not to damage and some solid wood at the top which I can fix to. I can’t work out how to fix something both to to this solid wood on the back of the drawers and the wall while not being visible from the front. Can anyone suggest a trick or appropriate hardware for this? I’m guessing it’ll be two parts, one fixed to the wall and one fixed to the drawers that I’ll then somehow link together.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Make a slot in the rear panel, level with the underside of the top panel, then fix a L bracket to the wall, at an height to match the slot. Move drawers fully back to wall, so L bracket enters the slot, fix screw through L bracket, into underside of top panel.

Sponsored Links
Make a slot in the rear panel, level with the underside of the top panel, then fix a L bracket to the wall, at an height to match the slot. Move drawers fully back to wall, so L bracket enters the slot, fix screw through L bracket, into underside of top panel.
Thanks Harry, that’s my plan B but I’ve been asked not to damage the back of the drawers if at all possible…

For the French cleat and hook eye suggestion, it’s a solid / heavy piece of furniture so I’m not sure I’ll be able lift it onto the cleat / hook.

Thanks Harry, that’s my plan B but I’ve been asked not to damage the back of the drawers if at all possible…
You are going to have to attach something to the drawers. Harry's method is about as subtle as can be without drilling into the back.

Last edited:
You are going to have to attach something to the drawers. Harry's method is about as subtle as can be without drilling into the back.
I don’t mind screwing something to the back but I’d rather not have to create a slot in the backboard for the L angle to pass through. Like I say, that was my original idea and my fallback plan

I don’t mind screwing something to the back but I’d rather not have to create a slot in the backboard for the L angle to pass through. Like I say, that was my original idea and my fallback plan

Back panels are always the thinnest/weakest part of the structure of any drawers, wardrobes, or cupboards. By contrast, the sides, top and bottom, are much more robust places to fix to. Your choice really is one of attaching to the top, by the upper surface, or to the top, under surface, by cutting the slot..

my thoughts
assuming the height is twice the depth then any leverage from the drawer would lift the back half the forward movement so a cleat would have to start tight to prevent any forward movement and lifting at the back
assuming off the wall by the skirting thickness then perhaps 2 eyes each side and a cable tie just out off sight then you dont have to be accurate just within perhaps 12mm as the cable tie will adapt
just make sure the front is on the ground when you loosly tighten the ties to stop them constantly being under tension trying to pull the eyes out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back