Do I need conduit in this case?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to add a new double socket right under the existing double socket.

If I just run the cables (extending ring) directly from the existing socket, can I do this without using any conduit for the pattress box?

Attachments

• Socket.png
    Socket.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Want to add a new double socket right under the existing double socket.
Do you mean right under - touching?

If I just run the cables (extending ring) directly from the existing socket,
Hardly worth extending the ring, is it?

can I do this without using any conduit for the pattress box?
Well, yes, but if not touching then that would be a bit naff, wouldn't it?

What is the wall made of?

to do it touching like this
1726667688662.png
then no conduit required
if you are expecting to be regularly plugging in and out it will be easier to use them mounted beside like this
1726668210794.png

in either situation extending the ring will not be worth any effort.

Sponsored Links
To me it is.

In the future, I can see myself wanting a 3rd or even 4th socket.

By extending the ring (as opposed to adding a spur), I would be good to go
in that case, shorten the existing conduit to move the existing socket up the wall, that way the existing ring cable will reach the new socket in the current position without having to add any joints.
1726668947109.png

if you are expecting to be regularly plugging in and out it will be easier to use them mounted beside like this

Having 2 x 2 gang socket directly above each other could be an issue with moulded plugs and PSU’s plugged in
If I wanted to to mount the socket besides one another

1. Would I need to replace the existing pattress box with one with a side knockout?

2. Or is there a way to drill into the existing plastic pattress box to run the cable? Also, if the existing pattress is drilled, would I need to protect the cable by using something like conduit & female adaptor?

Attachments

• 1 - Socket and Light Switch.jpg
    1 - Socket and Light Switch.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2 - Side profile.jpg
    2 - Side profile.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Pattress Internal.png
    Pattress Internal.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 3
If I wanted to to mount the socket besides one another

1. Would I need to replace the existing pattress box with one with a side knockout?

2. Or is there a way to drill into the existing plastic pattress box to run the cable? Also, if the existing pattress is drilled, would I need to protect the cable by using something like conduit & female adaptor?
Personally I'd drill with a step drill as they make a lovely clean and acurate hole in patress material and the next size cut creates an excellent de-burred finish, in my opinion no further action is required if the 2 boxes are butted tight together

However other contributors may say: "Such a thing could probably be used to make a hole of some size or other. I certainly would not use one for any purpose ever. A 20mm holesaw would be a more usual choice to make a 20mm hole."

A 20mm holesaw is far more likely 'snatch' and crack in brittle material or to make a shoddy hole with sharp edges.

Do you have space to fit a double socket beside that? From the vertical paint finish it looks like there is an edge to the left.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back