Do I need Planning Permisssion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone, I've never made any external changes to my houses before, and I really need guidance on what I need to do.
Asking my local Council planning department I got a "visit the website" response.
The website is as clear as mud to me!

Just moved and I would like to widen my garage so that I've got workbench space next to my classic car.

The current brick built attached garage measures L 5220mm W 2700mm H 2540mm. The garage has a flat felt roof.
There is currently a space measuring 2350mm between the garage wall and the boundary between my neighbours property and mine.
I would like to extend the width of my garage by 1250mm which would leave 1100mm from the new outer wall to the boundary.
The garage will still have a flat roof, and the length will remain the same.
A solid rear door would be moved to the rear of the new wall and the old door way bricked up, there would be no window.

The width of the garage door will increase by 250mm.

The current plan of the garage is…………

1717768459651.png

The proposed plan of the garage is…………
1717768557828.png

Front view currently (including removal boxes)!

1717768678733.png

D you think I'll need Planing Permission, Building Regs or just a builder?

Many thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Just a builder mate, but why not do it yourself? Doubt if the council will be interested as it is not a habitable building and what you want to do would not change it's use.

Thanks for you quick reply matey.
That's exactly what I thought, just wanted some feedback from people like yourself with more experience than me.
I only moved here a month ago and I don't know yet if I've got any officious neighbours!

It's an extension, nothing to do with the garage being a habitable room or not, have a look on the planning portal guide, it's pretty clear what is and isn't PD. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/extensions/planning-permission It seems it would be PD but you've not provided enough information to be able to answer fully, you'll need to consider the height and the following too.

You should check there are no Article 4 oddities in your area or you live in an Article 2(3) designated land area, the definition of these areas are listed on the link above.

Further reading in the technical guidance here:

Sponsored Links
It is NOT an "extension", it says quite plainly in the website given by our friend above that the rules apply to houses and not other buildings such as in your case a garage. The fact that it is attached to the house is irrelevant, it might be in the same location but not be attached to the house as is the often the case, it is still not an extension or a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back