Do you know why this pipe is squashed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why this pipe has been cut and squashed?

I'm pretty sure it's a gas pipe, as it leads to the meter.

1930s semi detached with a 70/80s remodel.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20241021_195400.jpg
    20241021_195400.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20241021_195331.jpg
    20241021_195331.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20241021_195338.jpg
    20241021_195338.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Obviously to stop whatever is in that pipe from coming out i would have thought..

Laziness probably made them not sort it out in a more professional manner!!

Thanks Koolpc.. I could of guessed that

So I take it squashing the pipe isn't "code" and should be redone?

It needs a proper stop end fitted to a circular part of the pipe and, if this is a gas pipe, that would need to be tested to ensure it seals.
If it is a gas pipe that squashed method of "sealing" is must give a risk of a leak.

Sponsored Links
I've got plenty of those in my old lead gas pipe work...

20200612_181758.jpg

In my case, the cut pipes continue on, and can be traced up to about 2/3 the height of the wall, where there would have been gas lamps at some point in the past.

It was a common practice with lead pipe, and if it passes a tightness test, there should be little concern.

But as yours seems to be copper, a soldered on stop end would usually have been used, or the tee replaced.
Though it's possibly flooded with solder, I will defer to an RGI.

Last edited:
Tightness test would be the first thing but once an RGI saw that then they would be obliged to make good.

Was an old fudged way of doing it - flattening the pipe then fill the end with solder, did the job, when that was good enough. Definitely not up to spec these days though, so if seen it should be cut out and made good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back