Does a conservatory form part of the side elevation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting a garden room built in my back garden in a conservation area. PD states that in a conservation area:

E.3 In the case of any land within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse which is article 2(3) land, development is not permitted by Class E if any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land between a wall forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse and the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

Going from the rear wall of the house, the garden room would be behind it and therefore pass the above requirement. But if you go from the rear doors of the conservatory, the garden room would be to the side of it. The same rule but for extensions the wording on the gov website uses "original house", whereas for outbuildings it just says the above "of the dwellinghouse".

Can anyone confirm if a conservatory would make up part of the side elevation or not? If it does then it's a very weird one because you could build the garden room and then build a conservatory to the side of it, but not the other way round?!

Sponsored Links
Your post doesn't make complete sense to me, are you building an outbuilding not attached to your house or an extension?

Yes what I mean is that if using the term "original house" then the rear wall would be the end of the side elevation and therefore the garden room would not be in the side elevation as its behind the rear wall.

Sponsored Links
Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Building an outbuilding not attached to the house. I was just referring to how the wording for the side elevation rule differs for outbuildings and extensions. Basically I'm just trying to find out if a conservatory is considered part of the elevation specifically when looking at building a garden room in a conservation area because the rules for an extension do not include a conservatory as part of the elevation through use of the word "original house" which excludes conservatories built after the house was built.

Sometimes a fag packet sketch of the existing plan and the proposed plan goes a long way .....
proposed garden room in blue
rear elevation from conservatory green
rear elevation from house purple

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 19.53.29.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 19.53.29.png
    876.6 KB · Views: 34
I agree but I still don't know if a conservatory is considered part of the elevation for planning. Conservatories are classed as temporary structures so it would seem pretty strange if they are also considered part of the elevation.

What does the conservatory have to do with the outbuilding? Your proposed outbuilding does not attach to the house or the extension correct?

What does the conservatory have to do with the outbuilding? Your proposed outbuilding does not attach to the house or the extension correct?
As I explained in my initial post...if the conservatory is part of the house elevation then I can't build the garden room as it would be between the side elevation (of the conservatory) and the boundary. So is a conservatory considered as part of the house elevation or not? My quick mockup above clearly shows what I am asking.

OK gotcha, would help if I looked at your sketch properly! :rolleyes: I would say if the conservatory was original then it's a side extension, if the conservatory was added on then no. IMO.

I would agree with that too, I’ve got a bad feeling it could be down to the mood of the planning officer on the day considering how ambiguous the wording is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back