Does an artexed ceiling which contains asbestos need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A water leak sprung in a bathroom situated above a living room resulting in a very small amount of damage as per photo. I had it tested for asbestos, and it came back positive and now i am being told by my agent( the property is let) that, according to one of their contractors, the whole ceiling needs replacing which very seems like a case of a sledge hammer bludgeoning a nut. As the property is insured, the cost is not so much the issue, but the inconvenience it will cause my tenant who works from home will be considerable . I thought maybe the ceiling could just be skimmed over or the very most boarded and then skimmed over. Could someone please advise me ? I assume there are health and safety rules pertaining to such situations but i am not aware what those are. Thanks
00121dba-7924-44ea-a655-ac5909608a77.jpg

Attachments

• 00121dba-7924-44ea-a655-ac5909608a77-1.jpg
    00121dba-7924-44ea-a655-ac5909608a77-1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 4be23261-0171-4f1a-9422-ad9d7bd82c0d.jpg
    4be23261-0171-4f1a-9422-ad9d7bd82c0d.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
Bowed board by looks of it which will needs to come down.
Go read the HSE website for advice.

That can't be patched and it's not level so can't be boarded over or just skimmed.
Client needs two days in hotel while it's pulled down and skimmed.
Probably come home while the coving and painting is done.

Bowed board by looks of it which will needs to come down.
Go read the HSE website for advice.

That can't be patched and it's not level so can't be boarded over or just skimmed.
Client needs two days in hotel while it's pulled down and skimmed.
Probably come home while the coving and painting is done.
ok I didn't notice the bow at first, but I can now see it is quite obvious.. GIven the existence of that bow, do you think there is a danger that section might collapse at any moment? I only ask because although our agents have been notified, and we asked for quotes for removal and replacement , so far the contractors have failed to respond. Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know.
I've used 50 to 75mm drywall screws and wedi washers to secure boards that look like that as a temporary fix to secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back