Does this look like an asbestos garage roof to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously I’m going to get a test or survey before messing with it, but I’m just wondering because our mortgage valuation said ‘suspected asbestos’ but a couple of different family members who work in the building trade said it doesn’t look like asbestos to them.

Attachments

• BDFC8097-7FA2-45E6-BEF1-B789DB9F2B2B.jpeg
    BDFC8097-7FA2-45E6-BEF1-B789DB9F2B2B.jpeg
    796.3 KB · Views: 169
  • E8E50DDF-CB8A-4514-9DFE-801A1988CCC1.jpeg
    E8E50DDF-CB8A-4514-9DFE-801A1988CCC1.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
I don't think I would trust your family members! ;)

There's not really a discernible difference between non-asbestos and asbestos, cement sheets.
Sometimes there may be markings on the sheets; and there may be dimples in asbestos sheets, due to the manufacturing process.
Otherwise, there may be no way of telling just by sight (...and without knowing the age of the sheets).

As above, get it tested to be sure.

What's the best thing to do to get it confirmed. A DIY test or is it the sort of thing you need to get someone out for (if so, what kind of surveyor do I need)?

Sponsored Links
Looks like it to me.
DIY testing is cheap.
Risk as is is low
Careful dismantling is safe with proper precautions

small leaks may be easier to treat from inside, any removal of stuff on the outside creates issues.
You could try silicone inside

Looks like it to me.
DIY testing is cheap.
Risk as is is low
Careful dismantling is safe with proper precautions

small leaks may be easier to treat from inside, any removal of stuff on the outside creates issues.
You could try silicone inside

Silicone? I thought my options were duct tape for a quick fix or bitumen to do it properly?

Mainly for peace of mind or just to know what I have on my hands. Although there are a couple of small leaks also which I will need to patch.
It’s almost certainly asbestos.

To repair cracks etc, I use a garden sprayer to wet the asbestos sheet, scrub clean the area with a wire brush, then wash off the scrapings with the sprayer. Allow to dry, or force dry with a heat gun, then paint with flashband primer, then apply some flashband, use a roller and a heat gun to really seal.

wear suitable mask and if you want a disposable suit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back