Drainage over extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it standard building practise to run the house roof drainage onto a pitched house extension roof. As you can see from the picture, the drainage is pointed towards my velux window and it feels like it could be an issue after a few years of heavy rain. I don't see the same drainage method on my neighbours extensions

1000034070.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it standard building practise to run the house roof drainage onto a pitched house extension roof. As you can see from the picture, the drainage is pointed towards my velux window and it feels like it could be an issue after a few years of heavy rain. I don't see the same drainage method on my neighbours extensions
We'd have made provision for the main roof to drain independently - if possible. That said, there are much better places to put that down-pipe, lol.

Sponsored Links
A bit ugly but the easiest option is to extend the downpipe down the pitched roof then put a bend on it so it discharges into the lower gutter

if you leave it you will end up with a patch of stained tiles.

in an ideal world the downpipe on the main roof would be got rid of and replaced with 2 either side -but to do that would require the house guttering altering as it has a fall into the running outlet...........all very difficult to do with a pitched roof in the way

A bit ugly but the easiest option is to extend the downpipe down the pitched roof then put a bend on it so it discharges into the lower gutter

if you leave it you will end up with a patch of stained tiles.

in an ideal world the downpipe on the main roof would be got rid of and replaced with 2 either side -but to do that would require the house guttering altering as it has a fall into the running outlet...........all very difficult to do with a pitched roof in the way
Yes, I think you're right. If all that will happen is stained tiles, I can handle that, but worried that water will somehow ingress. Will explore running the pipe down to the extension guttering

The extension guttering looks to have too few brackets and is already sagging between the brackets that look to be more than a metre apart. Ideally brackets for plastic gutters should be no more than a half-metre apart, but builders rarely fit them with this short spacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back