Drilling 3/8" plate

Sponsored Links
when I said elongated I meant elongated ! That's one of the new studs just to show the butchering job they did.

To be honest this is just a little project. If it works out, fine, if not I'll try to find new hubs

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_082936.jpg
    IMG_20240903_082936.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 37
Is that a brake drum? cast steel or Iron - what would you weld it with

Is that a brake drum? cast steel or Iron - what would you weld it with
No its the hub, you can see the brake disc just behind it. It's been on the car unprotected for years so lots of surface rust. I presume it's mild steel ?

Sponsored Links
if the accuracy of the hole is critical, centre punch it first and start the hole with a stubby centre drill bit.

You can buy, sets of centre-punches, of various diameters, so you can put the centre-punch through an existing hole, to punch the exact hole centre in your material through the hole.

The hub could be malleable cast iron - quite a lot of free carbon. Just a guess though, and if that were the case I'd be inclined to either leave the holes or braze them up.
John :)

Yeah, I can't regrind drills. It is a skill that I lack. When a bit becomes blunt, I bin it, which admittedly is a waste.

In my teens, I became quite skilled at sharpening drills, but over the years I gradually lost that skill. I recently determined that I should try to resurrect the skill I once had, after all - I had all I needed and more in my workshop. I tried several times, messed up lots, gave up, then kept trying. I'm back now, to making a fairly reasonable job of it.

I had one of these until someone relieved me of it:
It worked very well indeed - best of it's kind.
John :)

I bought a cheapie, just to tackle the smaller bits, which I struggle with.. The instructions were not very clear, as to how to set the drill, so some guesswork involved. I found that sometimes it worked, other times not. I failed to work out why.

I'm probably missing something here but.

It's quite possible to mark and punch and then drill holes as required . But accurately enough with a hand drill? The studs need to be precise fit, at the right angle.

It would cost very little to actually get this done properly. It's holding a wheel on the car at the end of the day.

Can you find new hubs, that might be the better choice anyway.

You can buy, sets of centre-punches, of various diameters, so you can put the centre-punch through an existing hole, to punch the exact hole centre in your material through the hole.
I have access to a 3d printer - a while back I did a a job a little bit like the OP is doing, in that I had to marry up a plate to an existing body with M12 holes. I printed out little plugs with a hole in the centre just the dia of the punch - I got them spot on
1725362360706.png

we're also very fortunate to have one of these, an optical punch, just wonderful to punch accurately into fine cross hair markings
1725362626562.png
1725362678952.png

drilling holes accuratey is a far more difficult that folk imagine

I have access to a 3d printer - a while back I did a a job a little bit like the OP is doing, in that I had to marry up a plate to an existing body with M12 holes. I printed out little plugs with a hole in the centre just the dia of the punch - I got them spot on

Similar idea, except I have a set of multiple punches, of a variety of outer diameters. You just put the appropriate punch, in the hole, tap it, and you have the accurate centre marked, ready for drilling.

As you suggest, it's still very easy to go off-centre, despite the pop mark - which is where centre drill bits come in. I have a set of those too, invaluable for drilling accurately placed holes.

How were the original studs located?
Is it possible to back out the shortened stub studs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back