Early 1900's house, ceiling plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an early 1900's house in London, which was two flats and we are converting back to one house. The stud wall has been removed Itin the hall and a plasterboard removed from part of the ceiling, revealing the badly damaged original ceiling above.

It's a bit of a mess with some of the ceiling still plasterboard and some the original. One idea is to remove the whole ceiling but after a google I see that lime plaster should be used. I can't see my builder wanting to do that and instead replace with modern methods.

I am really confused what to do. As said part of the ceiling has been plasterboard and skim since the 80's and then badly joined to the original lime plaster ceiling, the bad join hidden by the stud wall.

Ideally I wouldn't have to replace the whole thing, as it also means we have to get the cornice all replicated. We are trying to restore rather than remove.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1000015977.jpg
    1000015977.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1000015978.jpg
    1000015978.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 5
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back