Electric Shower Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Triton Excite Plus shower for the last couple years. It's never worked that well. A few days after installation I had to call one of the Triton engineers to investigate why the temperature fluctuated between hot and cold. He said it was down to the water pressure being too low etc. and there wasn't a whole lot he could do about it. (I never had that problem with the previous shower) but decided to live with it anyway

As of late sometimes the shower will run completely cold for no apparent reason making it impossible to take a shower.

The hot/cold fluctuation or running cold doesn't seem to be linked to other external factors (as far as I can tell) like other people using water at the same time.

I'm tempted to get something new having exhausted other options like making sure the shower head/hose are clean and in good working order.

Are there any electric showers out there that people recommend (Reasonably priced) that are less susceptible to lower water pressure supplies etc?

Sponsored Links
we have a triton and have low pressure , in the summer when the village fills with tourists - measured around the 1.2Bar and max we seem to get is 1.8bar
the shower we have i think is 9.5Kw
its used by other half every day
turning any tap on causes issues , and flushing a toilet is a big issue

Are you sure there's no leaks in the incoming water supply to the property? Years ago had this issue, swapped shower and same issue. The problem was a lead incoming pipe that had a small leak and the pressure dropped by the time it got to the shower in first floor.

Remember it doesn't have to be a huge leak even a minute leak would be sufficient for the shower pressure to drop from the minimum required.

Sponsored Links
Only used where the cold water supply is from a gravity fed tank. I believe that the OP's system is mains pressure, so may not be an option.
The main downside of a pumped hot water system, after from significant installation costs, is that the power shower can easily empty the tank, whereas electric is a permanent supply of heated water separate from the main system.

All options seem to have problems, first shower came direct from boiler, it was a thermostatic mixing valve, took some time to run hot, and had to ensure large rose used, or not enough water drawn, and the boiler would cut out, next mother's power shower, it took some plumbing to ensure if not enough water from mains, it would draw air rather than cause water to drop below immersion heater level, but it worked well.

However, when the combi boiler was fitted, it became illegal as it could suck in groundwater if the water pressure dropped, so went to thermostatic mixing valve again, the problem was it would get warm, then go cold again as the boiler reservoir run out, and only after it got warm for second time could we use it.

This house two instant electric showers fitted when we move it, at low setting only used 6 kW, so rather small, and I expected to need to replace, however they have worked well, really impressed, so leaving as is.

I have considered a thermostatic mixing valve, but no hot water to the shower, and the immersion heater only heats the top of the tank, so not sure if enough hot water to supply a shower. My DHW is a bit hit-and-miss, if central heating boiler is running, loads of piping hot water, but if not the immersion only runs when there is excess solar, so warm enough to wash hands, and dishes, and enough quantity for that, but for a shower not so sure.

Also cost, around 5 to 10 minutes importing 3 kW (3 kW from battery) does not cost much, around 15p, to heat a tank full of water, takes the oil boiler around an hour, it does switch on/off after first 20 minutes, but a 20 kW boiler, so 5 times or more the energy needed for an electric shower, and need to wait an hour for it to heat the tank.

But electric instant showers do seem to be close eyes and stick a pin into the list, because it works for me, does not mean it will work for you, with my three story house, the DHW in the flat under house is still one bar, (32 feet) so any shower would likely work.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Some more info:

Currently my electric shower is using mains pressure.

We live in a 2 storey townhouse and the shared bathroom with the electric shower in question is on the top floor.

We have a shower that uses an electric pump in our en-suite bathroom (also too floor). It does tend to drain the hot water cylinder which is why I'm reluctant to get another one.

We have a conventional boiler with water tank feed in the loft and hot water storage tank in the airing cupboard.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Some more info:

Currently my electric shower is using mains pressure.

We live in a 2 storey townhouse and the shared bathroom with the electric shower in question is on the top floor.

We have a shower that uses an electric pump in our en-suite bathroom (also too floor). It does tend to drain the hot water cylinder which is why I'm reluctant to get another one.

We have a conventional boiler with water tank feed in the loft and hot water storage tank in the airing cupboard.
I would say its a good idea to get an electric in your case as if you had a boiler fault at least you still have a shower, if you can sort the issues out

I would say its a good idea to get an electric in your case as if you had a boiler fault at least you still have a shower, if you can sort the issues out

Yes I tend to agree. Just feeling wary about the same issue occurring again, hence the ask for recommendations

I was of the impression that mixer showers work well with low pressure systems.?

Also wondered if shower mixer bathroom taps are an option. Appreciate they rely on hot water from the boiler too but at least it might mitigate the temperature fluctuations that I'm facing and face with another electric shower?

Are there any electric showers out there that people recommend (Reasonably priced) that are less susceptible to lower water pressure supplies etc?

All electric showers are susceptible to low pressure/poor flow. You need to check your pressure, and measure the rate of flow, then compare that, against the manufacturer's minimum specifications.

Electric showers for safety, include a cut-off, where if they become too hot, or the flow is inadequate, they shut the element off to prevent scalding.

Also wondered if shower mixer bathroom taps are an option. Appreciate they rely on hot water from the boiler too but at least it might mitigate the temperature fluctuations that I'm facing and face with another electric shower?

Is your hot water system, an open vented system, or a combi boiler?

You say 2 storey townhouse, do you mean 3 storey??

A 2 storey property shouldn't have issues for water pressure on the first floor.

If you are confident and competent enough, you can always buy a new electric shower try it. If problem persists then it's definitely water pressure issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back