Engineered wood floor cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am hoping for some opinions about resolving a cost issue with a contractor that has largely completed an engineered wood floor install.

Background is its part of a large extension project. 125m2 of good quality engineered wood floor installed to a well prepared subfloor - part new screed and the majority of the rest on newly laid caber floor (replaced old floor boards). The area is 5 large rooms (one very large - the extension itself) and its all square or rectangular rooms other than one slightly angular porch area just inside the front door. Skirting boards were 80% off with others refitting after the floor was fitted. 20% required undercutting

I was quoted 30m2 so £3,750 for a "full stick down" - no mention of separate cost for any materials - I purchased and paid separately for the wood flooring. I have this in a whatsapp message. I now appreciate now I should have confirmed "all inclusive?" but I didn't and logically there may be some extra costs as a job progresses which I would accept

With one room to go (about 14m2) I received an invoice for c£6,250 and have since been told a further invoice to complete for £600 will follow - so £6,850. So £3,100 or 83% more than the quote.

The explanation I have been given is that the 30m2 is labour for fitting only and that approx. £2k of materials is extra. The bulk of the extra costs is sikabond adhesive - 10 x 13kg tins at £125.99 each) but there's also nearly £500 for 4 tins of Sika MB primer some Sika rapid DPM and a small amount of latex.

There's also £8-900 for attending to take moisture readings of the screed before the job started, a bit of subfloor work and covering the floor with a carboard protection as there is skirting reinstall and decorating work to follow on. Some of this seems a bit pricey but I can largely reconcile myself with these items - its the core labour and materials I'm struggling with

I have done some research (belatedly) and I've been provided with info/invoices by the fitter that seems to support the cost of the materials though to me its a lot of money. If you take the stated £2k cost of the materials out of the £3,750 quoted, the price remaining looks a bit cheap. On the other hand, if £3,750 is really just the labour, its taken him about 4 longish days (call it 5 days) and I think he might have 2 more to finish up. £3,750/7 days = £535 a day which looks very expensive!

The fitter has taken some responsibility "I feel bad about it" for not being clear on pricing and we had a very amicable conversation about trying to reach an agreement but its clearly difficult for either of us to be completely objective.

So my questions are
-what is a reasonable labour charge for 7 days work for a skilled wooden floor fitter?
- does £2k of materials (excluding the floor itself) seem sensible for sticking down 125m2 of engineered wood floor (it works out as 16m2). The fitter keeps telling me he has used a "full trowel method" which is not to be confused with with using a mastic gun and glue from a tube/sausage which is a lot cheaper but, I'm told, will be prone to issues later - again a choice and conversation which should have occurred at the start!

Legally I don't think I am liable to pay for the materials as it was not presented when I was given the price. However, I do want to resolve this amicably and fairly. The fitter has admitted he was at fault for not being clear and I think there's an arrangement where I will pay more than quoted, but not £3,750 fitting plus £2k of materials.

Any opinions or advice very welcome.

If anyone is reading this ahead of a similar project - its not as simple as sticking the floor down! Ask about method and materials - it seems it makes a big difference!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
So a fitter not a company gave you a written quote ? Did it say on it supply & fit ?
Is it planks or herringbone?

It was a self employed fitter not a company. He was introduced by the flooring supplier but was not employed by them. He told me in a whatsapp message "I will charge £30m2 for a full stuck down floor". Its planks (not herringbone) and they are 2200mm x 240mm x 20mm. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
30m2 was he including adhesive with that ? We would be about that with vat .
Any prep work would be extra. Like liquid Dpm and any screeding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back