Essential tools For Getting Started in DIY

Reaction score
Country
Uganda
What are the essential tools every aspiring DIYer should invest in? I'm just getting started, so any recommendations on must-have tools would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It depends what sort of thing you are doing.

The tools I use most frequently are my impact drivers and chop saw.

Sponsored Links
As said - depends very much on what you are going to tackle
BUT maybe worth looking at this video - for DIY carpentry work, hand tools
i have most and used for general DIY over the years

i have now invested in some of the Wera tools kits , expensive , but i find i use these kits a lot now

Then you have power tools , for DIY again probably a combi drill , and maybe an impact drive - think about this , as cordless , you dont want lots of different battery systems, so worth investing in one platform with a large number of Bare tools available

Plumbing, again youtube video available on DIY tools needed for that sort of work

Lidl & Aldi - often have tools that maybe worth purchasing , I have quite a few - BUT not power tools

Often makes like Dewalt and Makita come on offer at places like toolstation and screwfix , with batteries and charges

Last edited:
I went with the Aldi/Ferrex for my power tools, I am an amateur, so do not really need to have that many power tools available, they have worked well, except for the multitool, I need to find the purchase receipt for that one as it keep undoing itself every time I use it!
Hving a shared battery system is essential. so is it carpentry or gardening that you need stuff for? think about that for a bit then go for either the aldi or lidl ranges of power tools (they both use proper LG batteries inside the cases) depends which is available first from when you start looking.
You can get a combi, charger, and spare batteries from aldi/lidl for less than the bare combi from the big names in power tools and you wont be using it as often as a professional, so it will last you long enough to be worthwhile.

When I was at school the caretaker managed with only an axe. If something needed a bit cutting off he used the sharp bit of the axe, for everything else he hit it with the back of the axe. Start your tool collection with an axe.

The tools you need for DIY, are the tools you need for the particular job. When you start a new job, ask yourself "might I ever use this tool again". If the answer is "yes" buy the best you can afford, if the answer is "no" buy a cheapy, and if it lasts longer than one job you're quids in. Just think, the cost of any tool, high or low quality, is (usually) way less than what you would have to pay a pro to do the job.

When I was at school the caretaker managed with only an axe. If something needed a bit cutting off he used the sharp bit of the axe, for everything else he hit it with the back of the axe. Start your tool collection with an axe.
"There's a tool for every job...

...it's called an axe"

Look at some of the tool kits on sale and buy quality versions of what’s there, especially the screwdriver bits. Good combo drill and range of masonry wood and hss bits. When you find your missing something invest in straightaway or even a set of them eg long handled screwdrivers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back