exploding Tellys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just out of interest, aparently the fire brigade suggests unplugging tvs at night. do you have to unplug, or can you just switch of the power on the socket?

Sponsored Links
Switching off at the socket should be fine, like I always do :oops:

Eddie M said:
all my stuff like that lives in standby. even my comp

Perhaps they consider it a special risk because of the aerial attracting lightning, but in this day and age going round your house unplugging every item every day is not practical. Nor would the manufacturers expect it. Some stuff nowadays does not even have an off switch, just a computer input button which puts it in standby.

Sponsored Links
There is a risk of component damage as stated above due to lightning strikes but it is rare. I personally have never had any problems over the years.

Perhaps we should unplug the phone as well :?: I don't think the hassle of unplugging the TV, removing the ariel socket, unscrewing the sat cable etc is really worth it, I'm sure it could well have happened, but I've never heard of anyone's telly catching fire from a lightning strike.

Its estimated that 5-10% of residential electricity bills goes on keeping things on standby, so there would be a financial advantage to unplugging. And a climate one, too....

Eddie M said:
Perhaps we should unplug the phone as well :?: I don't think the hassle of unplugging the TV, removing the ariel socket, unscrewing the sat cable etc is really worth it, I'm sure it could well have happened, but I've never heard of anyone's telly catching fire from a lightning strike.

December 2004. Had 8 PCs in after storm from the villages with overhead telephone cables. All modems dead and 3 of them fried motherboards.

andrew2022 said:
Eddie M said:
all my stuff like that lives in standby. even my comp
I have done a few fire training and according to them you should never leave anything on standby.

Don’t leave your television on standby – switch it off at the set. Any appliance left on standby can use 80 per cent of the electricity it uses when it’s switched on.

Most fire start from faulty electricial inside the TV, my last Television caught fire while I was watching it, let alone on standby :!:

One of our PC at work last year caught on fire because it never switched off, it was full of dusts :!:

I can only sleep at night when the sockets are off now.

I think you misquoted me there ;) Yes I know you shouldn't leave things on standby, but there's so much stuff now.

TV's
Stereo
DVD
VCR
Sky Box
Sky+
Home cinema amp
Digi senders
portable stereos
Cordless Phones
Answer machines
Mobile phone chargers
The PC

Don't think I'd ever make it to bed. I'm not disagreeing with what anyones saying, but back to the original question, yes, turning off a TV at the power socket is fine. Perhaps we should just flip the RCD before going to bed. :D

I haven't got all that stuff above BTW :LOL:
Just most of it :(

masona said:
Most fire start from faulty electricial inside the TV, my last Television caught fire while I was watching it, let alone on standby :!:

Maybe forty years ago, bit actually nowadays the statistics are that most house fires are a result of cooking (leaving the chip-pan unattended is a good way :eek: )

Next comes arson, then fire-accidents (candles too close to curtains etc), and electrical faults comes somewhere below that. I'm remembering this from a recent TV programme and it may not be quite right, but it's not far off!

masona said:
One of our PC at work last year caught on fire because it never switched off, it was full of dusts :!:

Well I think hoovering the dust out of the PC would be the correct fix for this - most of its components don't perform well when thermally insulated! :D

Cheers,

Howard

HDRW said:
Well I think hoovering the dust out of the PC would be the correct fix for this - most of its components don't perform well when thermally insulated!

I don't know about this, last and first time I tried this, I fried the PSU, maybe I was just unlucky !

Switching off at the socket won't help if lightening strikes the aerial. The TV would get fried anyway (the tuner unit at the very least). The TV may actually go bang. I think it's best to unplug a terrestrial aerial if a storm is approaching.

Unplugging the mains or turning off at the TV on/off switch will prevent damage from a mains surge if the lightening strikes the electricity supply. If the lightening causes a power cut, it might be best to unplug equipment that is normally on stand-by until the power is restored. Damage could occur if there is a surge of electricity when the power comes back on.

The strangest effect I ever saw from a lightening strike was that the coax cable melted in parts. The budgie got killed because the cable passed by its cage. The TV got written off. The most peculiar part was that the carpet was dragged from the edges of the room and humped up a little underneath a tubular steel coffee table.

When TVs catch fire it is usually a small component or part of the printed panel that catches fire (sometimes the line transformer). It causes much smoke and alarm but is rarely irreparable. I've never personally come across a case where a house has burned down because of components in a TV going up in smoke. Nonetheless, you can't be too careful. The 'not burning a house down' bit relies somewhat on someone noticing the smoke or arcing and turning the TV off.

Dry dust won't normally do any harm but I used to vacuum it out anyway when doing an overhaul. Dust in a damp atmosphere can hold moisture and could become slightly conductive and perhaps cause trouble. The dust around components that normally run warm tends to burn off as it builds, so the insulating effect of any dust may not apply.

Eddie M said:
HDRW said:
Well I think hoovering the dust out of the PC would be the correct fix for this - most of its components don't perform well when thermally insulated!

I don't know about this, last and first time I tried this, I fried the PSU, maybe I was just unlucky !

Should have switched it off first :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back