Extension roof issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of buying a house and the survey has raised an issue with the extension roof.

It suggested the roof tiles (redland 49) might be the wrong pitch for the roof (18 degrees) however a roofer has since told us thay this isnt an issue but the roof has failed and needs entirely replacing due to bad (uneven) brickwork and a broken concrete board that was propping up the tiles as well as a need to replace the sleeve arpund the drainage pipe.

However not sure if this is significantly overestimating the issue, is it possible to tell what migjt need doing from the attached photos?

As far as i am aware there has only been a leak in the house due to the seal on the drainage pipe.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_172350_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_172350_WhatsApp.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20240626_172320_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_172320_WhatsApp.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20240626_172041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_172041_Gallery.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20240626_172333_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_172333_WhatsApp.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20240626_171951_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_171951_Gallery.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Hi

I am in the process of buying a house and the survey has raised an issue with the extension roof.

It suggested the roof tiles (redland 49) might be the wrong pitch for the roof (18 degrees) however a roofer has since told us thay this isnt an issue but the roof has failed and needs entirely replacing due to bad (uneven) brickwork and a broken concrete board that was propping up the tiles as well as a need to replace the sleeve arpund the drainage pipe.

However not sure if this is significantly overestimating the issue, is it possible to tell what migjt need doing from the attached photos?

As far as i am aware there has only been a leak in the house due to the seal on the drainage pipe.

Thanks
The 'flashing' around that SVP exit is hilarious. It should have been fitted with a pitched multi-slate, prior to the lead roof flashing being fitted...

Thanks, is there any evidence of a broader issue with the roof that would mean it needs replacing rather than just fixing the issue with the svp?

Sponsored Links
bad (uneven) brickwork and a broken concrete board that was propping up the tiles
What bad brickwork? What broken concrete board? The more you put into your query the more useful feedback you will get. Apart from the mortar cracking a bit , the wrong tiles for the pitch and the felt pipe carbuncle it looks OK. Might be fine might not be. We've seen plenty worse on here.

Yes sorry that's what I meant by concrete board - sorry I am a roofing idiot :) and don't have a huge amount of detail on it beyond the limited info the surveyor and roofer told me.

In terms of the brickwork the roofer said it was cut unevenly which is why it looks wavy and may cause issues with the structure ober the medium term

Even to a none-roofer, I find it amusing! Possibly, it was a DIY job, in attempting to resolve the ingress?
According to the owner it was done to rectify an issue with the initial pipe covering. He has said there haven't been any leaks since this was done a few years ago but not sure I trust that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back