External siren - can it be modified to be turned off manually from inside?

The consequence of not having an external sounder is that if you get burgled - no one will know until you get home.

Although given that you have already upset the neighbours they will likely ignore it now anyway.

If you do put a keyswitch in, when it's turned off have it illuminate a light so it's clearly seen that it's disabled.

Sponsored Links
The consequence of not having an external sounder is that if you get burgled - no one will know until you get home.

Although given that you have already upset the neighbours they will likely ignore it now anyway.

If you do put a keyswitch in, when it's turned off have it illuminate a light so it's clearly seen that it's disabled.
Aha, so you mean if I left it disabled by accident? No problem, I'd only ever turn it off if it malfunctioned and was causing a problem through the night, so don't think I'd leave it disabled by accident. The illuminated light is a good idea though, that would make 100% certain, cheers. :)

YEs, if your the only keyholder then you will know about it but you can forget.
So when someone comes to repair it they might have a bad time trying to figure it out.
TBH I'd put the keyswitch into the panel itself.

That looks like a Texecom Premier Elite Odyssey 3.

As a word of caution for directly switching piezo sounder, I did this on a Deltabell once whilst I was soak testing a fault on a system by simply disconnecting the peizo from the PCB for a couple of days and it killed the PCB in the bell box and the sounder newer worked again whilst everything else on the Deltabell continued to work.

I am not exactly sure how or why and it was NOT related to any lose connection etc. but I suspect that having no load connected to the driver circuitry of the PCB released the magic smoke.

Sponsored Links
I think in the days of a cut off horn sounder …this would work ….but fail any security grading and thus not insurance approved …if your not bothered about this , then remove the battery back up in the bellbox and fit a keyswitch to the supply 12+ feeding the bell box at your own risk ….

If you want to have the system operate and be able to switch it off but appear to be working.

Then it’s disconnect the piezo.

The ody3 with the blue lens it’s difficult to see the comfort leds during the day.

However as mentioned above it’s easier to remove the battery and switch the incoming power.

If it was a modern grade 3 version then the fault relay shouldn’t activate with piezo turned off although not tested it. But battery and power options off it should trigger the fault relay.

End of the day I get that if they are problems you want to be able to shut it down without having to get up to the box at 2am or in bad weather.

Ody3s to be fair false activate due to issues at the panel and not doing the tampers correctly as a rule on the bellbox. Occasionally cable damage shorting things out or being broken.

Also you will need to link between 0V and Tamper at the panel end as the panel tamper may activate with no power to the bell.

As a word of caution for directly switching piezo sounder, I did this on a Deltabell once whilst I was soak testing a fault on a system by simply disconnecting the peizo from the PCB for a couple of days and it killed the PCB in the bell box and the sounder newer worked again whilst everything else on the Deltabell continued to work.

There should have been no need to do anything with the bell soak testing should not activate the bell even if the zone goes activate,

The whole point of a soak test is not to activate the alarm but to monitor the zone and have it show up in the event log without alarm bell being activated.

Can’t comment on the delta bell or what happened when disconnect piezo but possible damage to the board at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back