False wall

erg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a newbie to DIY and am building my first stud frame.
We are installing a false wall in our bathroom to hide the shower plumbing and add in small shower niche.
Am using 38*89 mm timber, and the frame is 2400 * 940 mm. The frame is sitting in the corner of the room and not extending the full width of the wall (1780 mm). It will need to support the weight of the backer board, tiles etc, and shower.
We're installing it direct onto (uneven) brick, using packers to ensure it's level. The 940 edge will run along a sturdy party wall, and the 89 depth is against a non structural brick wall (bricks are laid on their side so this wall is relatively thin)
The difficulty is that there is no joist directly under where it will sit, and due to where it's placed adding noggings is looking like not an option. My question is, if we screw it into the two perpendicular walls, will that be sufficient to support the weight of the wood plus fittings? It would be resting on floorboards which we can screw into, but I think most of the weight would be carried by the walls. Would that be okay, or do we need to rethink and figure something else out?

Sponsored Links
Should be fine well fixed , must have no flex when finished or tiles will pop off. You can fix a timber plate above the floor boards to span joists.

Okay brill thank you! I'm such a worrier it will definitely have many screws to avoid flex!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back