Felt roof cracked on edges

You do know the intention of the website you're on?
I’ve got plenty of other jobs to be getting on with and it’ll be far less agg using a pro than doing it myself and having to deal with BC! Not opposed to ree’s suggestion at all

Sponsored Links
No need to post about it on a DIY site then!?
I didn’t know what I was dealing with to start with. It very well could have been an easy DIY job if it was just a case of repairing some felt. Thanks to the experience shared I now know that’s not the case.

It depends how far you want to go, but if you have the enthusiasm for it then there aren't many jobs that aren't DIY jobs (repairing this, definitely.. creating a new warm deck roof a bit more of a learning curve for a DIYer) - you're demonstrably smart enough (you're here, asking) to be able to research problems and take advice and as such I'd say highly likely to do every bit as competent a job as the average roofer, because what you lack in experience will be offset to a good degree by the diligence and attention to detail that working on one's own property encourages

Sponsored Links
It depends how far you want to go, but if you have the enthusiasm for it then there aren't many jobs that aren't DIY jobs (repairing this, definitely.. creating a new warm deck roof a bit more of a learning curve for a DIYer) - you're demonstrably smart enough (you're here, asking) to be able to research problems and take advice and as such I'd say highly likely to do every bit as competent a job as the average roofer, because what you lack in experience will be offset to a good degree by the diligence and attention to detail that working on one's own property encourages
That’s fair enough Robin, I appreciate the faith! In all honestly I’m very early in my DIY journey and haven’t quite built up the confidence to take on a job that involves building control just yet. Hopefully one day

Poster 15,
I'm well aware - I'm also well aware that, given his posts so far, the OP is well out of his depth with things as they are, & would be lost attempting to demolish a flat roof & construct a warm roof.
Perhaps you didn't know about serious accidents that are caused during demolition?

OP,
Well done defending yourself.
OK, here's a temporary thing thats DIY doable.
Remove the gutter - drip batten and drip edge - then, assuming the fascia is water damaged, prise the fascia away from its fixings.
Then fix a new fascia - drip batten and edge strip. Cold fix the edge strip on to the main roof.
Have two adults present at all times.

OP,
Well done defending yourself.
OK, here's a temporary thing thats DIY doable.
Remove the gutter - drip batten and drip edge - then, assuming the fascia is water damaged, prise the fascia away from its fixings.
Then fix a new fascia - drip batten and edge strip. Cold fix the edge strip on to the main roof.
Have two adults present at all times.
Thanks ree, I’ll look in to that. I can’t help but ask, why two adults? And maybe more importantly, do I count as one?

That’s fair enough Robin, I appreciate the faith! In all honestly I’m very early in my DIY journey and haven’t quite built up the confidence to take on a job that involves building control just yet. Hopefully one day
If you turn it into a warm roof and get it insulated to be compliant…..you will benefit from Warmer more thermally efficient rooms, so you will gain a benefit you will feel.

If you turn it into a warm roof and get it insulated to be compliant…..you will benefit from Warmer more thermally efficient rooms, so you will gain a benefit you will feel.
Understood! Though it will require increasing the roof height…does that fall under permitted development generally?

Understood! Though it will require increasing the roof height…does that fall under permitted development generally?
Not worth worrying about and it’s probably still under the 3 m eves height

The only concern is making sure there is enough room to do it….sometimes the roof whete it abuts the house can be tight tom1 st floor windows etc

OP,
Why two adults because back in the day I re-visited similar low level roof work sites where a child was footing a ladder or passing up or receiving material from above.
Plus its always best, even at low level, to have two adults for safety.

Poster #25,
Professional, which means good, roofing firms & self employed roofers in the UK do all roofing work with a min of two workers. Its a basic safety practice. And its pretty universal.
Some cut corners & take risks or have convoluted conditions allowing jobs for one or two men - also pretty universal.
So, poster #25, the next time you need to have a bit of roofing done, well now you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back