Female Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my c/h is currently misbehaving & hope u can help. For example, with the c/h & h/w set to run continuously & the room stat set at 30 deg, the boiler fires up & eventually shuts off but won't come back on again without
switching the boiler off & on (repeatedly). If the c/h hasn't come on overnight then there's no hot water either.
Duff room stat was suggested so I replaced that with no joy :cry:
Had plumber round, he said diverter valve was stiff so I replaced head ass'y. he also thought the cold water feed could be partially blocked with crap (don't know how that got in there) causing the boiler stat to override, so I cleared that out & still no joy :cry: :cry:
So it's down to you guys to pick your brains :D
The love of my life :oops: reminds me that problem coincided (but not proven as guilty) with a rad valve splitting & dumping black gloop over lounge floor.
Cheers for your help in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
What boiler make/model is it? If the diverter valve body is stiff then replacing the head won't cure this. Sometimes turning the body manually will loosen it. If it's a Danfoss/Randall or Potterton then turning the spindle 360 degs several times will free it but this can also cause the spindle to weep. If you have a fanned flue boiler then sometimes the air pressure switch can stick in the n/c position. The boiler won't fire unless the APS is in the n/o position. When you have the problem does the pump run or not and is their any movement from the diverter valve, particularly a clicking sound?

Paul

boiler is Stelrad Ideal Classic NF40.
He meant the spindle was stiff to turn & that the head would need replacing.
I'll have to check out the rest & get back

many thx for your input ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back