Fill up your car "in the normal way"

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
Other countries realise that the wider benefits can be captured by not charging but providing these facilities.
Something tories and brexiteers hate being pointed out...

Profit before people is their twisted mantra!

Sponsored Links
Something tories and brexiteers hate being pointed out...

Profit before people is their twisted mantra!

There is nothing wrong with profits, they are neaded. You are using private goods as we speak. The issue is the ideology for the sake of the ideology.

Classic exampled of their idiotic thinking is

Private Good. Public Bad.
Small Government.
Deregulation.

It's about strategy. Its not Tory, Labour, Brexit etc. Rail Freight should be a strategy, it was lost because it was cheaper to haul by road. Covid may well flip that back. We actually need a long term transport strategy that addresses the needs of the user and limits the ability of local government to push the problem on.

Its actually a culture of NIMBYsm in local government. It started under New Labour, possibly even before. Walking streets, traffic calming, parking zones, congestion charging. These are all strategies that discourage road users from "coming here". Well they have to go somewhere.

I suspect the return to work and end of lock down, has been the biggest catalyst. Consumption must have gone up recently.

We let the market decide, Road Haulage was cheaper so it won out, now to turn around and say well there are exernalities in this approach - well that's where you don't let the market decide or you create a market that takes into account these externalities so the costs of either approach can be better judged.

If you want to move hailage off the roads then you accept there are externalties and benefits that can be captured by the economy. But that goes in the face of free market economics and neoliberalism.

NIMBYsm term may have been coined in the last few decades but it was always used as a justifcation by locals. If you want better usage of land time for LVT.

Sponsored Links
Yep - that is the situation. I want fuel and home deliveries, but I don't want the trucks parked where I live.

Back