Filling chased out backbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any suggestions on what to use to fill this back box? I'll probably have a plasterer coming over at some point to do the final coat but I'd like to get the big bits filled in first.

PXL_20240911_091645122.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have used toupret filler which is fine, but the best I used (including a good length of chasing) was easy fill. Sets really smooth and filled deeper than advertised. Only problem was it only came in bigger bags, so a bit of wastage unless used on bigger jobs

I have used toupret filler which is fine, but the best I used (including a good length of chasing) was easy fill. Sets really smooth and filled deeper than advertised. Only problem was it only came in bigger bags, so a bit of wastage unless used on bigger jobs

I do use Easifill from time to time but normally only on ceilings. It is incredibly soft. So soft that when I turn up to repaint a room and start sanding the walls, the old emulsion rips off the wall where the easifill is and I have to sand back the easifill and refill with Toupret. In the OP's case, I would recommend Browning plaster.

Sponsored Links
Cement or plaster. A great big dollop to take up most of the empty space just leaving a final skim to the plasterer. You could probably do the final skim yourself and flatten off with a sanding block and sandpaper if finishing with polyfilla.

As has been said, with a deep hole, I would fix something in place and then fill.
All the methods previous methods are valid, but it depends what you have lying around.
Personally, I would use some expanding foam to fill.and stick a carefully cut peice of plasterboard - the resulting filling would then be minimal.
And as above - change the socket!

Whenever I fit a new back box, after chasing out the hole, I throw a big dollop of cement or plaster in the hole, squeeze the box in to the required depth (with the cables inserted), leave overnight to go off, then just one screw in the next day to keep it in place when it’s all gone off. Finish off with a light skim of polyfilla and sand flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back