Finding a dimmer that doesn't cause buzzing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted new downlights in a room with the intention of switching them with a simple dimmer
The lights are Bell 3.2w GU10s x 6 so ~19w total

I've tried two dimmer switches now:
The first was from Eurolite and I didn't realise until it arrived that it had a minimum load that was too high, this caused buzzing and flickering at low settings
The second is from LAP which has 0w minimum, 150w maximum LED load, this doesn't flicker at all but still causes the lights to emit a high pitch buzz at any setting
I've also tried a regular switch which is absolutely fine, no buzzing or flickering.

Is this just the case with cheaper dimmer brands? Do I just need to bite the bullet and spent £50 on a switch? Or is there some specification that I need to look out for?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A LED bulb can have a huge variety of methods used to limit the current, with a simple series capacitor to limit current then an external dimmer with likely work OK.

But as users we have no idea what is inside the lamp, only sure method is smart bulbs, some switches have lists of bulbs which will work with them.

Sponsored Links
Change the bulbs ?
This does seem the best option, however, I had a problem with Energenie smart light switches. Most rooms worked OK, one room proved a problem, G9 bulbs. This compatibility chart should have worked, however I found the 5 Philips Master bulbs did not work. Put one quartz bulb it and worked great, but whole idea was not to use quartz.

My wife found a bulb that worked G9-comp.jpgit would not allow the cover to be fitted on the bulbs, but they went out when switched off, and no flicker, one failed so opened to have a look, and the smoothing capacitor was nearly as big as the smaller bulb, found dry joint, fixed, and bulb back in service, I before finding fault, got 4 spares, and four years latter still have 4 spares, plus the 9 quartz bulbs, and the small LED bulbs removed, and only two lights in whole house use G9 bulbs.

In Turkey, they went to CFL well before us, and they got around the problem that dimmers would not work, by splitting lights 1/3 and 2/3 giving three levels of light. But that needs doing at wiring stage. So GU10 smart bulbs have come down in price a quick google and I see £2.99 not that I would go for just dimming, I would go whole hog and get colour changing at £6.80 what they can do does vary, as we go up in price The Tapo TP-link bulb can be controlled by their smart button
1721455174181.png
so would allow control as if using a dimmer switch, but the price is going up and up, and to be frank, I got one of those buttons to control one of their smart switches, and my wife never used it, too much like hard work, she used voice commands. So switch now works as a doorbell push.

But the day of the old dimmer switch has gone. Smart bulbs have taken over.

The
1721487358413.png
Varilight seems to be quoted many times as being a good option. However, never used one, so can't really say how good. Having had problems with electronic light switches which don't use a neutral and don't use batteries, I am not going to recommend any dimmer switch.

As said, I have a draw full of bulbs, all either used for a few minutes, or not used at all, which did not work with the electronic switch I was using at that time. At £2.99 for a smart bulb, why risk if a smart switch will work or not?

Youll need a trailing edge dimmer

This is the one I've got currently which is described as having auto leading / trailing edge mode

Maybe I'll give Varilight a go, reviews seem to be better

Truly maddening that something as common as dimmable downlights is still such pot luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back