Fire door replacement and closer query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We own a flat we rent out, and there are moves afoot to replace the existing flat entry fire doors which are FD30 and about 40 years old with poor fitting frames and various other defects, with new FD30S fire door sets. No issue with that - fire brigate have taken a look and advised they are beyond repair/upgrade and this is an over 55s development too where FD30S is generally considered/recommended to be the minimum these days in that sort of environment.

But it is my understanding the door closers *might* need to be fitted to the outside of the new doors facing the corridor - which sounds a bit odd and will probably look a bit odd too. I can't recall ever seeing this in any block of flats I have ever been in.

The only reason I can think why this might be the recommendation is the doors open into narrow hallways in each flat only a few inches wider each side than the door frame. The existing door closer stops the door opening to 90 degrees a bit like this. I've found references to a Clear Opening Width of 775mm and will measure next time I'm there, but just wanted to check this figure is correct in this sort of situation, and that I should be measuring between the red lines. The space is so tight, even if the existing closer was removed, it might still struggle to get to 90 degrees.

If this rings true, are there any reliable concealed closers for fire doors like this?

Thanks.

Door closer.jpg

Sponsored Links
Landlords fit closers to the communal landing side purely so that they can be seen when the regular FRA inspections take place or at other times.

There is no actual requirement for them to be on the communal side, so if you own the flat you can insist on an internal or concealed closer as long as it meets the required standard.

Landlords fit closers to the communal landing side purely so that they can be seen when the regular FRA inspections take place or at other times.

There is no actual requirement for them to be on the communal side, so if you own the flat you can insist on an internal or concealed closer as long as it meets the required standard.
Thanks Woody - that makes sense. I do know there have been problems with people taking them off completely in the past (ours had been taken off when we bought the flat as previous occupant used a zimmer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back