Fitting a new ceiling light - wiring question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm putting a new ceiling light up in my house. I've taken off the old fitting - and underneath there are three cables...
DSCF0049.JPG

The three cables are then wired together as follows....

DSCF0046.JPG

My new light fitting looks like this...

DSCF0050.JPG

I believe the brown wire goes to one of the reds and the blue wire goes to one of the blacks - the red and black coming from the same cable?

Can someone confirm that I'm right or tell me otherwise? When I took the old fitting off - neither brown or blue from the old light was connected to a red.

Cheers

Slightly con-fused

Adam

Sponsored Links
ahh loop in lighting wiring probablly the biggest source of confustion and blown fuses/tripped breakers in domestic diy wiring

the three reds are the permanent live and should remain joined together but should not be connected to the light

the two blacks that are currently joined together are the neutral and should remain joined to each other as well as being connected to the brown wire from the light

the final black wire (which should really be sleeved red but in your case clearly isn't) is the switched live and goes to the brown wire from the light

Sponsored Links
that'll be the daewoo then.

i think it is your host's problem, not all sites will "link" to other sites

at least in firefox it works if you right click and do view image

I think the images are showing now.

Thanks Plugwash - very helpful.

What happens if you do connect brown to red and blue to black?

Cheers

Adam

plugwash said:
ahh loop in lighting wiring probablly the biggest source of confustion and blown fuses/tripped breakers in domestic diy wiring

the three reds are the permanent live and should remain joined together but should not be connected to the light

the two blacks that are currently joined together are the neutral and should remain joined to each other as well as being connected to the brown wire from the light

the final black wire (which should really be sleeved red but in your case clearly isn't) is the switched live and goes to the brown wire from the light
Really ? Tis doubly confusing isn't it ? That sort of one word error may have sunk the Titanic. ;)
Seeing pix fine .. but then, am using Opera browser !!

DIYhopeless said:
I think the images are showing now.

nope.

as i said its probaly the host you are using stopping the images being "shared"

plugwash said:

You've said "brown wire from the light" for both in the above. Surely one was supposed to be blue?

Adam

corrected version

the two blacks that are currently joined together are the neutral and should remain joined to each other as well as being connected to the blue wire from the light

lamps.gif

the most common way diyers F*ck this up is connecting all the reds together and all the blacks together this means the light iss on with the switch off and the fuse/breaker goes bang when the switch is turned on.

its usually at this point they come here by which time they have no idea which wire is which and they don't usually have any form of test equipment either which makes the diagnosis procedure much harder

DIYhopeless said:
Hi - I'm putting a new ceiling light up in my house. I've taken off the old fitting - and underneath there are three cables...
DSCF0049.JPG

The three cables are then wired together as follows....

DSCF0046.JPG

My new light fitting looks like this...

DSCF0050.JPG

I believe the brown wire goes to one of the reds and the blue wire goes to one of the blacks - the red and black coming from the same cable?

all cables must remain connected as they are, the three reds are permanant lives, the two blacks are the neutrals, and the single black is the switch live wire (should be tagged red) connect the blue to the neutral side and the brown to the switch wire side.

Can someone confirm that I'm right or tell me otherwise? When I took the old fitting off - neither brown or blue from the old light was connected to a red.

Cheers

Slightly con-fused

Adam

Any advice given, you would be foolish not to corroborate elseswhere .. Can have incorrect wording, which could be deadly ... use as a pointer for the area to investigate .. then get reading etc.
P

delmel said:
Something embedded in someone else's quote.
Blimey - took me a while to spot that you'd written something - at first (and second) glance it looked like you'd just quoted DIYhopeless and added nothing.

You need to pay more attention to your [ quote ] [ /quote ] pairs.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back