Fitting wall bars to internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit wall bars (looks a bit like a ladder and has a pull up bar attached) in a room. Unfortunately my knowledge of fixings/walls is a bit lacking and I'm looking for some advice on how best not to have the bars pull out of the wall in use.

Looking at other posts, I think this dewalt aerated concrete anchors (like these https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-aerated-concrete-anchor-nylon-70mm-40-pack/749ht) are what I need, does that sound right? The wall bars have 12 fixing holes for bolting to the wall (4 at the top, 4 middle and 4 low).
As a kind of belt and braces solution I thought I could get a couple of fence braces and bolt one end to the floor (that's concrete under laminate) and the other end to the wall bars about ¾ the way up the upright.

Some more info on the wall etc:
The internal wall is painted plaster, behind which is…something. When I drill through I get a grey powdery material that is about 18cm deep, about 4cm after that I hit the external brick wall (it’s an external wall on an extension). Drilling through the grey stuff is not super hard, certainly don't need the hammer setting on the drill to get through it. The wall is on an extension that was built sometime around 25 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like thermalite blocks. Very soft and won't hold much weight. I never drilled those as I found I could just push a screwdriver in to create a hole.
Had you had concrete blocks id of recommend chemical fixing which is resin and some threaded bar.
If you have dot and dab walls these are good.

Sounds like thermalite blocks. Very soft and won't hold much weight. I never drilled those as I found I could just push a screwdriver in to create a hole.
Had you had concrete blocks id of recommend chemical fixing which is resin and some threaded bar.
If you have dot and dab walls these are good.
Thermalite blocks held my extension roof up, not that weak.

Thermalite blocks hold my extension up as well.
Downward force they are great. Most fixings are ok like my TV.
Pull up bars though? @foxhole

Sponsored Links
Roof timbers fixed to side of thermalite blocks, not sat on top.Huge pull force .
Thanks, could you clarify a little please? Are you saying fix the bars to the ceiling (having found the timbers), fix timbers to the wall or something else?

Thanks, could you clarify a little please? Are you saying fix the bars to the ceiling (having found the timbers), fix timbers to the wall or something else?
Impossible to say , I dont know what bars you are fixing or what it looks like.

FYI I used M8 Rigifix fixings. There are twelve of them in total on the wall bars and they seem very, very solid. I've been dangling off the pull up bar and moving around with not a hint of any kind of movement. I don't think I'll even bother fitting the fence braces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back