Floating floor in garage conversion - how to construct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are covering our garage and have painted a liquid DPM. We then plan on adding 50mm of celotex to the floor, with some timber supports in places around doors and where gym equipment will be as we've read this is suggested. We can't seem to find any specific details though on how we construct and fit this floor so any advice gratefully received.

We will then be putting chipboard, underlay, and LVT on the top.

So the questions which we can't quite figure out:

Do we just push the celotex 50mm up to the edges of the walls
Do we then attach timber beams to the celotex, do they need to be attached in any way, or they just fit snuggly
Do the timber frames need to be secured to the floor? If so, how?
Timbers are 2 inches and work out about 45mm, vs the 50mm celotex. We can't find finished timber beams at 50mm. How do you account for this difference?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of gym equipment do you need to install?

Take a look at the video below which should give you an idea.

Would just be the strengthening to sort if required. PIR is quite dense and with thicker chipboard should be adequate for most things I would have thought as the load is spread out well.

Are you looking to use free weights?
Keeping the garage door and bare walls?

Are you looking to use free weights?
Keeping the garage door and bare walls?
Hi, yes free weights and a home gym, but nothing particularly heavy. The garage door has been bricked up and we've built out stud walls and insulated and plasterboarded. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
What sort of gym equipment do you need to install?

Take a look at the video below which should give you an idea.

Would just be the strengthening to sort if required. PIR is quite dense and with thicker chipboard should be adequate for most things I would have thought as the load is spread out well.

Thanks, will be a treadmill, exercise bike, home gym and a workout area. We have to do timbers in at least one area as there is an inspection manhole cover and I'm going to make a pull out section which I want to sit within a timber square on the floor.

I’d be wary of free weights on a chipboard floor?
Ply might be better?
No matter how careful you are, a weight will get dropped.

There are rubber mats that might mitigate accidents.

I’d be wary of free weights on a chipboard floor?
Ply might be better?
No matter how careful you are, a weight will get dropped.

There are rubber mats that might mitigate accidents.
Chipboard, then underlay, then LVT, and then yes thick gym flooring is going on top to cover most of the space (we've bought the ones which come in 1m2 tiles which you fit together)

2 points
your floor is likely to slope
from back to front
cls comes out at 1/2" as in 38/63/89mm so 38x63 for 50mm and 38x89 iff you fancy 3" and want airspace
rough sawn comes out at 47mm

When I built a recording studio in a garage we used rockwool as the floor, then glued the chipboard together to form one massive sheet as we went. So long as you’re careful in installation you can float the entire floor without issue.
Or create small pads of concrete as bearers for timber joists?

Laying the timbers on timber wedges then packing with slate and concrete?

my only thought is point loading without a substantial perhaps 400/406 centres and noggins and 22mm txg chipboard rather than floating floor or kingspan or similar ???would point loading work through even iff eventually to cause a hollow in the foam underneath i simply dont know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back