Ford Ka MK1 Coolent flush - query and questions

Started to look over the valve cover removal procedure using the service guide:

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 13-37-00 Ford Workshop Service and Repair Manuals Streetka 2003.5 (01...png

It looks pretty straight forward, however, this is one hose that is not referenced on the guide, and it's a bit more obscure how to move or remove it to access the valve cover. On their guide it seems to be routed around the side, and just needs to be unclipped. On this it is routed over the engine cover.

It comes from the brake master cylinder vacuum component.

fengine1.jpg

The connection to the brake component does not look removable:
fengine2.jpg

Then it has this connection about half way:
fengine4.jpg

And terminates in the engine block as part of the air in-let
fengine5.jpg

I assume it's the vacuum line. But I'm not sure the best way to remove or dismantle it.
The connections are not similar to the other more simple hoses. It's very rigid and cannot me easily moved aside.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s just a push fit into the brake servo....dont try to separate this pipe anywhere else.
Just ease it out with gentle twisting, add some silicone spray if you like and move it aside.
John

It’s just a push fit into the brake servo....dont try to separate this pipe anywhere else.
Just ease it out with gentle twisting, add some silicone spray if you like and move it aside.
John

Just to clarify, that is this connection, correct?

fengine2.jpg

Just want to be 100% sure.

Also, should expect air to escape etc. Just want to be prepared for any noises that may make me think I've broken something :LOL:

Yep, that’s the one......there may be some vacuum in there but I doubt it!
Gently ease it out, the end is serrated for a good seal. Apply some silicone spray as you replace the pipe.
John

Sponsored Links
Yep, that’s the one......there may be some vacuum in there but I doubt it!
Thanks, I only mention that as I'm sure I knocked that connection while wrestling with the heater control valve and I heard a pssst of air escape for a moment and I thought I had damaged something.

Yes, with the engine running there will be a vacuum in the servo.
The other end of the pipe goes to the inlet manifold ( or vacuum pump if a diesel).
John

Back