Framing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a frame using 45 x 70 timber. This will comprise of a rectangle being constructed with the 75mm side laid down. I will then have cross supports every 40cm and this will also be laid down the 75mm side. Should I screw through the 75mm rectangle to hold these cross supports in place or screw them from inside at an angle? I am trying to understand what provides a stronger join.

I hope this makes sense…

Sponsored Links
This graphic may help the explanation above. The wood is all laid along the 75mm side. The two options for screws is marked in blue.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.png
    IMG_4206.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 25
Hello people, can I please get some guidance on this as I need to plan and purchase the appropriate screws.
Thanks again.

Is this for a shed? A window? A plasterboard partition? A garage door? A caravan? A stage flat? What size is it? What will it be fixed to? Will you want to move it after construction? What loads will it carry? What will it be skinned with?

Sponsored Links
Is this for a shed? A plasterboard partition? A garage door? A stage flat? What size is it? What will it be fixed to? Will you want to move it after construction?
It’s for the base of a small lean to shed. 5m long and 50cm wide. It will sit on paving slabs and have an osb board layer onto it. It will the. Have the timber stud work built on this.

If you are going to clad it with ply, that will brace it and give it rigidity. The roof will also stiffen it. If not you will need diagonal bracing. You can use nail plates. If you assemble it in place if will hold together better. If you move it after assembly all the joints will be racked.

Are you going to fix posts to the ground first, at the corners and at intervals of 2 metres or so?

Sorry, I may not have explained it too well.
It's not very wide and not designed to walk into. It's along the side passage of the house and will have a couple of double doors to access items on the shelves, that I will build within it.
Returning to the frame. The frame (as show in the image above) is for the base. Not the side walls. It will sit on some slabs and then have a OSB Board mounted to it. This will be the floor of the shed. I just wanted advice on which end I should screw the timbers for maximum strength? i.e. from the adjacent timber or at an angle.

1723121110593.png

Thanks for coming back to me John. I think we are talking cross purposes.
The base frame I am referring to is something like this:
1723125023963.png

Unusually, in my case I will have the 70mm side at the top and 45mm along the side. The cross braces will follow this format.
The blue arrows (without text) are - what I think - my screwing options. I could go straight into the long timber and screw into the cross brace. Presumably this would require a screw that is around 100mm long as it would need to go through the initial 70mm before it touches the cross brace. The other screw option is from the inside at an an angle. I could use a much smaller screw here. I am trying to understand what provides the most strength.

Also, I don't own a nailer.

Thanks for your continued support

I'd have just used some screws through into the ends of the studs:

images

I'd have built each wall panel as individual wall panels on the ground including the OSB sheathing (assuming you have the space) then shift them into position and fitted all the walls together at the corners and the base.

I'd have just used some screws through into the ends of the studs:
This may be the answer to my question but,

I'd have built each wall panel as individual wall panels on the ground including the OSB sheathing (assuming you have the space) then shift them into position and fitted all the walls together at the corners and the base.
This is not the concern here. When I build the walls, I will use the suggested approach. I’m also lining it with 5.5mm ply.

My question here specifically relates to the base and this will have an 18mm OSB board on it.

So the base is similar to the last image you posted, only with an OSB deck on top? So after you lift your walls into position just screw their sole plates into the edge of your deck.

So the base is similar to the last image you posted, only with an OSB deck on top?
Yes, except my timbers are arranged differently. They have the wider side on top as shown in the image with measurements.

So after you lift your walls into position just screw their sole plates into the edge of your deck.
Yes and I am happy to do that further down the line.

Right now, I am trying to understand which option I should use for the screwing of the base frame. Do I go through the 70mm timber and then into the cross brace or screw the cross brace at an angle. Again, I have tried to illustrate that in the earlier image.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back