Gap filling where gable wall meets roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is usually used to seal where a gable brick wall meets the roof? I've attached a collage showing the end rafters and the gable wall at one end of our house. It's obviously brick but it looks like they maybe used concrete slapped on? Not sure what that's doing. There are places where you can see the underside of the roof tiles where the roof extends out over the wall and there are gaps where light comes through. The felt and sarking board (Scotland) doesn't extend far enough basically making the tiles visible. On the opposite gable wall they have extended the sarking over the wall so there is no gap like this on that wall. I'd ideally like to seal the sloped section of wall between it and the nearest rafter. We had a wasp nest in the roof right by here and I'd like to seal up as much of this as possible as I suspect they've come in around a gap in one of the tiles. I was thinking expanding foam? It's probably a depth of a couple of inches or so. I am a bit aware that it's good to ventilate a roof and we don't have any vents but I don't think me sealing this would change this much..

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20241008_201145.jpg
    20241008_201145.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 9
Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is usually used to seal where a gable brick wall meets the roof? I've attached a collage showing the end rafters and the gable wall at one end of our house. It's obviously brick but it looks like they maybe used concrete slapped on? Not sure what that's doing. There are places where you can see the underside of the roof tiles where the roof extends out over the wall and there are gaps where light comes through. The felt and sarking board (Scotland) doesn't extend far enough basically making the tiles visible. On the opposite gable wall they have extended the sarking over the wall so there is no gap like this on that wall. I'd ideally like to seal the sloped section of wall between it and the nearest rafter. We had a wasp nest in the roof right by here and I'd like to seal up as much of this as possible as I suspect they've come in around a gap in one of the tiles. I was thinking expanding foam? It's probably a depth of a couple of inches or so. I am a bit aware that it's good to ventilate a roof and we don't have any vents but I don't think me sealing this would change this much..

Thanks for any advice.
Ordinarily the masonry is finished flush or just below the tops of the rafters. The last internal rafter should be positioned so that the masonry passes up behind it. Yours looks almost like they cocked up and sited the rafter almost OVER the masonry.

Anyhoo - foam it!

Ok thanks for the info. It might be the angle of the picture but the masonry is definitely beyong the last rafter but not by a huge amount. Do you know if they used concrete, doesn't look like mortar on top of the bricks to make up any gap between bricks and whatever part of the roof contacts the top of the bricks? Late 1960's house. I wonder if thats some sort of bodge or a practice of the time..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back