Garage conversion colder than rest of house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building regs were involved and I feel like the correct insulation was used at the time.

We shut the garage conversion off on the night to stop the cat going in there and vomiting on the floor.

The heating is not on overnight. The heating is only just going on for the first time today.

When I've opened the garage conversion room the last 2 mornings it has been 2 degrees colder than my open plan living room (with a staircase in it). Id expect my open plan lounge to lose far more heat overnight than my sealed garage conversion.

The garage has 2 external walls, one newly built to replace the original garage door, cavity with rockwoll insulation. The other external wall is part of the original house and has retrofitted cavity wall insulation (I've seen it, looks ****e but its there and same as what's in the rest of the house walls).

There's a lean to roof above the front half with 200mm + of rockwoll. The back half of the room has a bedroom above it.

Floor is raised with 100mm celotex, timber floor and carpeted.

It has 2 double glazed windows with trickle vents.

The room warms up okay once the radiator goes on but I don't understand why it's 2 degrees colder than the rest of the house in the morning?

Sponsored Links
Mine is exactly the same, mine is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer but I have a flat roof and I think that's the problem.

Sponsored Links
There are several factors that can make some areas warmer, just being inhabited by people cooking, doing stuff, windows and doors facing sun etc is enough to bump it up a degree or so.
It is north facing and the other north facing rooms are a bit colder BUT I had the door fully shut and it should be better insulated than the other rooms, plus it still felt a bit colder than the other rooms. Also there is no solar gain overnight as there is no sun. This is at like 6am I go down.

We spent most nights in the room and it gets used a lot tbh.

I live in an old stone cottage that had a single storey flat roof extension built in the 70's. About 14 years ago I put another extension on the end of the extension, and went over the lot with a pitched roof. I stuck 120mm of Celotex on top of the rafters. The new part that I built is much warmer.in the morning.

Our rooms on the north side, including a very well insulated extension, are always colder.

Also if it has more external walls then it will lose more heat whatever insulation you have.

We usually heat most of the house in the evening but almost never the extension. I guess some of yesterday evening's heat remains in the rooms that were heated.

Is it haunted?

An insulated but unheated room does not magically become warm or stay warm.
No rooms in the house were warmed overnight and that was the coldest room by about 2 degrees. Even my open plan living room with an open staircase in it was warmer.

If you keep the door shut when the heating is on, does this room get to the same temperature as the rest of the ground floor?

If you keep the door shut when the heating is on, does this room get to the same temperature as the rest of the ground floor?
Tbh when the heating goes on it warms up better than all the other rooms, but that's partly because all the other rooms have undersized rads and this one has an oversized rad.

The ratio of external wall area to internal volume is likely greater for the garage than it is for the house. Other factors (e,g glazing type and proportional area) being equal, I would expect that to result in a greater thermal transfer rate for the garage, hence the temperature difference.

No rooms in the house were warmed overnight and that was the coldest room by about 2 degrees. Even my open plan living room with an open staircase in it was warmer.
For context .....

What's the orientation of the house rooms?
Window sizes and direction?
Materials of the house?
The linings?
The weather?
The doors, opened or closed and the comings and goings?
The door undercuts per room.
Room ventilation?
The ratio of adventitious heat from appliances per room?
Are the new walls fully dry, or still damp and cold?
The insulating value of rooms above rooms, not roofs?

Compare apples with apples.

For the sake of solidarity, the little storage cupboard under our stairs is just over 2° colder than the rest of the ground floor. Bizarre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back