Getting these old tools going

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought these two tools at local auction £62 each. The hedgcutter doesn't start and the blower works but goes off when left on tick over. They are unclaimed stolen tools from police station. I'm guessing the petrol is stale? Anything else I should do to get them going ?

Not used to the buttons/choke etc on hedgcutter, any advice ?

Shall I get a service kit and service them both?
20240929_184325.jpg
20240929_184315.jpg
20240929_184311.jpg
20240929_184303.jpg
20240929_184256.jpg
20240929_184241.jpg
20240929_184224.jpg
20240929_184217.jpg
20240928_113306.jpg

Sponsored Links
The first thing you do with any two stroke unknown engine is to check for compression.
Pull the recoil starter and you should feel resistance as the engine cranks with a pop - pop sound.
If there is compression it will run again, so dump the old fuel and refill with fresh 50:1 mixture.
Post back for more excitement!
John

The first thing you do with any two stroke unknown engine is to check for compression.
Pull the recoil starter and you should feel resistance as the engine cranks with a pop - pop sound.
If there is compression it will run again, so dump the old fuel and refill with fresh 50:1 mixture.
Post back for more excitement!
John

They both pull with resistance.

Which is the choke , do I put lever on left or right when starting? (In pix)

What about other knows?

Screenshot_20240930_194455_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Choke lever, move to the left for ON.....the symbol designates a tube that is blocked by a flap.
LA is the idle screw, HL is the main mixture screw. That one may only turn 3/4 of a revolution, depending on the age of the machine.
John

Choke lever, move to the left for ON.....the symbol designates a tube that is blocked by a flap.
LA is the idle screw, HL is the main mixture screw. That one may only turn 3/4 of a revolution, depending on the age of the machine.
John
Should I fiddle with LA or HL?

No, not yet....let’s see if the engine will start!
Those engines seem remarkably clean......give them a good chance by checking the air cleaner foam, and cleaning the spark plug first.
Can you see any primer bulbs on the carburettors? The blower definitely has one, not sure about the hedger.
John

I should have said....Stihl screws are TX 27 on older stuff, TX 20 on some of the newer gear.
John
Put the strimmer head into combi unit but it's not strimmer head is not turning. I just screwed it on. Have I done anything obviously wrong? How do you take the head off out of interest?

The blower which started the day before I bought it the cord now doesn't work, I took case off and the metal coil pinged off how can I repair it?
20241020_174452.jpg
20241020_172813.jpg
20241020_171954.jpg
20241020_171951.jpg
20241020_171107.jpg
20241020_170524.jpg
20241020_170556.jpg
20241020_170709.jpg

Okeydokey, a bit at a time!

Strimmer wise (actually it's a brushcutter....genuine strimmers have a curved shaft and a flexible drive shaft cable. (I know this is a combi tool though).
Take the allen screw out, and see if the drive shaft is actually spinning. These machines have a centrifugal clutch so the engine has to be running reasonably fast for this to happen.
At the same time, see that the drive shaft is long enough to engage with the strimmer head......is it a Stihl one? Also check that when you manually turn the head, the part that engages with the drive shaft is turning too.
To expose the strimmer line, squeeze the white lugs inwards to release the spool outer cover.

The blower ( an elderly BG 55 or something?)
If both ends of the spring are whole, you'll need to rewind the spring into a tight coil and then engage it in the recoil unit....that's on the plastic cover, not the engine. You can then engage the starting pawl and it's retaining spring.
Forget about the starting rope for now - that can be rewound after....the rope sits in that notch as you wind the unit to tension the spring.
Horrible jobs I agree but we've all been there!
Maybe the springs are available in a pre wound cassette - I don't know.

Have fun!
John :)

Okeydokey, a bit at a time!

Strimmer wise (actually it's a brushcutter....genuine strimmers have a curved shaft and a flexible drive shaft cable. (I know this is a combi tool though).
Take the allen screw out, and see if the drive shaft is actually spinning. These machines have a centrifugal clutch so the engine has to be running reasonably fast for this to happen.
At the same time, see that the drive shaft is long enough to engage with the strimmer head......is it a Stihl one? Also check that when you manually turn the head, the part that engages with the drive shaft is turning too.
To expose the strimmer line, squeeze the white lugs inwards to release the spool outer cover.

The blower ( an elderly BG 55 or something?)
If both ends of the spring are whole, you'll need to rewind the spring into a tight coil and then engage it in the recoil unit....that's on the plastic cover, not the engine. You can then engage the starting pawl and it's retaining spring.
Forget about the starting rope for now - that can be rewound after....the rope sits in that notch as you wind the unit to tension the spring.
Horrible jobs I agree but we've all been there!
Maybe the springs are available in a pre wound cassette - I don't know.

Have fun!
John :)

Yes it's a stihl

Found this-

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back