Glazing options for a pergola roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping someone can advise. I've put a patio and pergola at the bottom of our garden and wanted to install a glass roof. We've spoken to our local glass supplier and they've advised using aluminium glazing rafters. But I'm not sure this will look that great from the front or from the sides, if we use the end profile straps. I can't find any company that will provide/install a seamless/frameless solution. Does anyone else have any ideas how we could install a glass roof whilst keeping the look seamless and modern?

I did think about using stainless balustrade brackets, but I would have to adapt these to suit, and my Wife isn't keen on that option either.

Would be great to hear anyone else's recommendations or if there's a company that provide a solution. I've attached some pics, for a visual.

The pergola is Oak and the outside is 100mm x 100mm and rafters are 75mm x 50mm.

Cheers

Rich

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240912_104202_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240912_104202_WhatsApp.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20240906-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20240906-WA0015.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20240907-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240907-WA0002.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
if you use 40mm capex, it will only be the width of the rafters so you wont see it from below

you dont need the end caps, just fill the end with silicone and cut off flush after

seamless solutions involve structural silicone glazing, not a realistic option on a timber structure

Does it even have a fall on it, doesn't look like you've designed a fall into it because glazing it was an after thought but water will pool in the middle with the bow of the glass, laminated glass assuming that's what your thinking off(I would) will be quite heavy

I think all you could do with that, is form an apex support, so you could add a canvas roof on there. Just a vertical timber at each side, midway, then a third timber across the top, giving it an apex, to support the canvas.

Sponsored Links
Does it even have a fall on it, doesn't look like you've designed a fall into it because glazing it was an after thought but water will pool in the middle with the bow of the glass, laminated glass assuming that's what your thinking off(I would) will be quite heavy
fair point, I guess it could have some firrings added....

if you use 40mm capex, it will only be the width of the rafters so you wont see it from below

you dont need the end caps, just fill the end with silicone and cut off flush after

seamless solutions involve structural silicone glazing, not a realistic option on a timber structure
Hey Notch, I think this is what we may go for. Appreciate the reply. Thanks.
Yeah, the glazing was an after thought, but we've not secured the corner brackets yet, so fall can be incorporated.
I think all you could do with that, is form an apex support, so you could add a canvas roof on there. Just a vertical timber at each side, midway, then a third timber across the top, giving it an apex, to support the canvas.
Thanks, we definitely don't want a canvas roof.

But I'm not sure this will look that great from the front or from the sides,

You can put a wooden frame round the perimeter. Fascia board?

Pergolas are usually timber so this will be in keeping.

Where are you putting the gutters and downpipes?

How will you clean off the dead leaves and dirt?

Clear polycarbonate roof is much lighter and easier to fit .?
Yeah, we did think about poly carb, the only thought was it wouldn't look as good as glass so to speak. But you are right, it would be much easier to fit. I tell you what though, that stuffs as expensive as glass. Literally £50 difference in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back