Go easy !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello peeps I am new on here so as it says, please go easy !! Ok my question is as follows: We live in an old remar concrete built house, ex local authority which has plaster board walls. If I want to run another wall socket in, would I be best putting in trunking with in the wall space, as the cable that is allready in there, is not trunked ???

Dave

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician but a DIY-wannabe and even I always run trunking whenever possible, its seems madness not to IMHO.

In addition, if for some reason you ever need to feed another cable or replace the existing cable, at least you can pull it through from above and thread a new cable.

Hope this helps and welcome to the site!

Trunking:
MTMIN2.JPG

Conduit:
MT20.JPG
or
MTOV25.JPG

Sponsored Links
REMAR UK

But I don't think this is what the OP was refering to. ;)

Correct its not !!! I have been told that rema concrete is also known as pre-cast reinforced concrete. Now on the inside is breeze block which is then wooden stided and then the plaster board. There is a gap where the original cables live, and these are just dangling from upstairs. There is no trunking or conduit around any

Dave

There is little point in using conduit for a simple switch or socket drop in a studded wall, as it will be very easy to pull in new cables in the future if the originals have not been clipped.

Of course, the regs stipulate the cable should be clipped, but in many cases this is not practical - try telling a customer they need to rip the plasterboard off the wall to run in a new cable.

If you need to go horizontally for any reasonable distance then you'l have little choice but to damage at least some parts of the wall, so that you can drill the studs to feed the cables(s) across.

There is little point in using conduit for a simple switch or socket drop in a studded wall, as it will be very easy to pull in new cables in the future if the originals have not been clipped.

Of course, the regs stipulate the cable should be clipped, but in many cases this is not practical - try telling a customer they need to rip the plasterboard off the wall to run in a new cable.

If you need to go horizontally for any reasonable distance then you'l have little choice but to damage at least some parts of the wall, so that you can drill the studs to feed the cables(s) across.

This is what I thought. It would be easier just to "Pull through" the new cables as this way there is less damage. I just thought I would ask incase it was in the "Regs" ???

Dave

I'm not sure of any regulation which would call for cable drops in stud walls to be clipped to the uprights (unless it was for example a very tall wall where the cable would damage itself supporting its own weight)

I'm not sure of any regulation which would call for cable drops in stud walls to be clipped to the uprights (unless it was for example a very tall wall where the cable would damage itself supporting its own weight)

I suppose I was a little extreme in suggesting that the mechanical stresses created by an unclipped cable in a stud wall would be enough to cause any damage. Point taken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back