Good job our economy is doing so well....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good job the economy is doing so well, as theres no way we would afford the price of petrol otherwise. I think i may have to make use of my bike....like sell it to buy a tank of petrol!

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
Good job the economy is doing so well, as theres no way we would afford the price of petrol otherwise. I think i may have to make use of my bike....like sell it to buy a tank of petrol!

sel it any you may get 1/2 a tank of petrol...

I didnt think it was i thought Britains economy was starting to go down the pan, but leaving that aside---------------------------

Politicians claim that they have carefully controlled the economy thats why it has been a success-----b****** s ----i think after it went down in the early 90's britains economy succeeded not because of any politician but because joe public took no notice of the tossers and went out and worked and spent-----it is down to him the economy recovered and kept going not some jumped up excuse for a politician

Has no one noticed that motoring has never been more affordable?

Sponsored Links
go on then explain to me how. My insurance is more expensive, as is my road tax, as is the cost of petrol, road tolls on certain roads doesnt seem to make it cheaper to me, so please enlighten me before i start another fuel protest! ;)

Was it not the master plan to reduce the cost of cars (This fell into Gov's lap due to cars being -and still are- over priced in UK), such that the residual dosh could be snaffled by HMG as taxes ?

I reckon there is a good chance that the economy and taxation policy is really just in a fortuitous cycle ... ie just lucky really.
Apparently there have been some awful fibs floated about amounts pumped into NHS and Edu .. A fair bit of double counting, under different headings etc - creative accounting - Lying, we call it normally.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men
P

Certainly when things are tight, my first consideration before a journey is whether I have the spare cash for the petrol. I make more phone calls to mobiles now to speak to my relations in the knowledge that I am spending less by not travelling out to them, (they do live some distance away).

Yep, glad they've done such a good a job, interest rates so low, that my savings are worth diddly. No pension to speak of now either. Ok so mortage rates are low, but who the hell can afford £100k for a cardboard box. :evil:

nstreet said:
Yep, glad they've done such a good a job, interest rates so low, that my savings are worth diddly. No pension to speak of now either. Ok so mortage rates are low, but who the hell can afford £100k for a cardboard box. :evil:

Yes but fat neck Prescott reckons that you should be living in a house that costs £60,000, so if you can afford £100,000 i am sure his mate Gordon can find a tax to relieve you off it so Tony can **** up the wall

I assume you are talking about a house made from Lego. No chance of getting a bricks and mortar one for that sort of money around here. Does two Jags live in a £60k house, I suspect not.

I filled up my Mondeo yesterday. I was on empty so 50 litres cost me approx £45. That will last about 10 days for the journey to work excluding private mileage. When I was on holiday in the States last year $20 filled the tank of a comparable size family salon. This is not a political statement but the reduction in interest rates over the past 7 years has been equally recouped by the government with the increase in indirect taxation.

Watch out everyone when the interest rates start to rise further!!!

Finally, has anyone heard the saying that the British Isles was (or is still) known as "Treasure Island" because of the high price we had to pay for our cars. This may have changed due to "grey imports", etc, but we are still paying way over the odds in comparison to our European counterparts!

treasure Island -- Rip off Britain --- We can all see how WE could force prices down .. But apathy stops us forming into Co-Ops or unions ... Take the price of Internet Broad band, if say 2mil of us users combined, we would have potential financial clout of say £20 a throw per month average £40M per/m or near half a billion per annum, could any provider disregard us ? If we then got a successful low cost deal for our members .. We would grow in numbers and wield more POWER 'cause that is what it is all about !! Motorists union -- same thing.
See how the Lab Gov buckles and bends to lobby groups - when the chips are down from a large enough group they give ground.
Unions were seen as the biggest thorn in the side of business and Govn, til of course they virtually disappeared as a force -- More of the same tho' regards the motor manufacturing business -- Note how the blame for R-MG demise hovered briefly over the workers, until more financial info came to light ---
Apathy reigns at the ballot box, perhaps, because we are frustrated at not having instant results (red button on the handset syndrome) or feeling powerless to make a difference -- the old co-op idea would focus us nicely, together we could be a formidable market force, a new interest in being involved .. seeing the changes .. we'd love it !!
Power to the customer -- without him / her there is no profit !
:D :D :D :D

hondacrm said:
I filled up my Mondeo yesterday. I was on empty so 50 litres cost me approx £45. That will last about 10 days for the journey to work excluding private mileage. When I was on holiday in the States last year $20 filled the tank of a comparable size family salon. This is not a political statement but the reduction in interest rates over the past 7 years has been equally recouped by the government with the increase in indirect taxation.
The UK have the cheapest petrol in the world until the government put their taxes onto it. Blair & Brown refused to lower petrol taxes when we has the petrol protests in the year 2000. Brown had attended a meeting of the European Council of Ministers where the EU had decided that England's petrol tax would not be reduced, Blair & Brown had no choice because they did what they were told and this is another examples of Europe interfering with the English tax system.

masona said:
hondacrm said:
The UK have the cheapest petrol in the world until the government put their taxes onto it. Blair & Brown refused to lower petrol taxes when we has the petrol protests in the year 2000. Brown had attended a meeting of the European Council of Ministers where the EU had decided that England's petrol tax would not be reduced, Blair & Brown had no choice because they did what they were told and this is another examples of Europe interfering with the English tax system.
Remember that Richard and Damocles when you vote for Blair, Brown and Prescott

Oz, Victoria, 12th April 2005
[code:1]
ULP A$1.100 perlitre GB£ 0.45 £2.05 gal
Diesel A$1.200 perlitre GB£ 0.49 £2.22 gal
LPG A$0.549 perlitre GB£ 0.22 £1.02 gal
[/code:1]
Wonder why we 'whinge' ?
P

Sponsored Links
Back