Handbrake adustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

My wife’s MG3 has an MOT looming and had an advisory at the last one for the handbrake tension. I’d like to tighten it before the next test.

could I ask the best way to do it? I’ve seen the adjustment on the rear drums is the preferred method, but did also wonder if the adjuster by the lever was also acceptable?

Grateful for suggestions and pointers.

Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Any suggestions how to get the drum off???? I’ve done what I thought was the hard part of getting the hub nut off but the drum won’t come off now. I’ve tapped it with a hammer. I tried with the wheel bolts all out and the tamper proof out too and it seems to be stuck … it won’t come off completely… any suggestions??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 31
I flood the area with a penetrating oil to get between the hub and drum.
A few whacks with a hammer ( turning the drum too) usually shifts things.
Application of heat around the area where the drum grips the hub may help.
If it’s really stuck, it’s out with the slide hammer.
You may find a rust lip on the drum inside when you do get it off and it’s best to remove this.....I use a die grinder for this.
John

He says so.....even if the drum is stuck, removing the hub nut should give some movement.
I’m wondering if the drum has shifted at all.....if so, it’s a rusty drum lip I guess that’s the issue.
John

could I ask the best way to do it? I’ve seen the adjustment on the rear drums is the preferred method, but did also wonder if the adjuster by the lever was also acceptable?

Loosen the front adjustment off, adjust both sides at the rear. Take up the all the adjustment, then press the footbrake hard, to centralise the shoes, then release. Back off the adjustment at the rear, until you can turn the drums, but not without any drag at all. Many adjust them so there is no drag, which leaves them with far too much play - expect a little drag.

Finally adjust at the front, so with it fully released, it is not applying the handbrake.

Sponsored Links
Back