Has my bricklayer used too much mortar on top of this concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - we're in the process of building a two storey side extension. The builder has dug foundations, poured concrete, laid a beam over a Thames drain (at their request) and then poured concrete on top of that beam - see first image (the concrete labelled at the bottom sits on top of the beam).

I've come home today and seen that he's now poured a 70mm thick mixture of mortar on top of that concrete as he needed to bring the level of this section up to where the existing brick line was (see second image).

This feels like way too thick a mixture of mortar to carry the load of a two storey extension. He's been using 25-30mm of mortar in between his red bricks so far on other sides of the extension too.

Am I right to be concerned or is this much ado about nothing? Thanks
dwlz9uge02kd1.png

Attachments

• 20240821_183221.jpg
    20240821_183221.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Hi all - we're in the process of building a two storey side extension. The builder has dug foundations, poured concrete, laid a beam over a Thames drain (at their request) and then poured concrete on top of that beam - see first image (the concrete labelled at the bottom sits on top of the beam).

I've come home today and seen that he's now poured a 70mm thick mixture of mortar on top of that concrete as he needed to bring the level of this section up to where the existing brick line was (see second image).

This feels like way too thick a mixture of mortar to carry the load of a two storey extension. He's been using 25-30mm of mortar in between his red bricks so far on other sides of the extension too.

Am I right to be concerned or is this much ado about nothing? ThanksView attachment 353057
What's he laying those bricks with? A shovel?

What's he laying those bricks with? A shovel?
I was afraid someone would ask that. Are we in trouble? So far he has done two rows which will be below ground level.

Is the chunky 70mm layer of mortar on top of the concrete likely to cause issues later down the line?

Sponsored Links
How wide is the bea,m and is the inner leaf of brickwork going to be supporting any floor joists
Beam is about 2m in length, 0.3m wide.

No floor joists will be supported. This is the brickwork which will go up a bit more then blocks will sit on top all the way up the two storey extension.

Hope that helps but let me know if not?

Is the chunky 70mm layer of mortar on top of the concrete likely to cause issues later down the line?
Not especially, no. But why would you use a bed thickness that is the same depth as a brick and (thin) joint?

The perp's are enormous and the mortar looks like he's using concrete sand. Is he a builder or bricklayer?

Not especially, no. But why would you use a bed thickness that is the same depth as a brick and (thin) joint?

The perp's are enormous and the mortar looks like he's using concrete sand. Is he a builder or bricklayer?
Technically he is a builder - he was trying to do some bricklaying today because the bricklayer cancelled on him

Somebody messed up the foundation level.

Was it done with a concrete pump?

Somebody messed up the foundation level.

Was it done with a concrete pump?
This specific part was poured manually. What happened was they concrete pumped cement in all foundation areas except where the Thames water drain was. For that part they had to first lay the beam, then manually pour the concrete on top to cover it. When they did that they didn't quite pour enough to reach the level which was poured with the concrete pump. Hence today they've manually poured mortar on top of that part to level it up.

Beam is about 2m in length, 0.3m wide.

No floor joists will be supported. This is the brickwork which will go up a bit more then blocks will sit on top all the way up the two storey extension.

Hope that helps but let me know if not?
The beam is basically a lintel supporting a 45 degree triangulated piece of brickwork of 1m height. In theory once the wall has been built this triangle could be knocked out and the wall around the hole would be self supporting corbelled brickwork. Imagine placing this height of triangular brickwork on stable ground never mind mortar (albeit thick) on top of concrete do you think it would settle, I would suggest no and you have nothing to fret about.

Did he really have a bricklayer cancel on him? i would insist on him getting a brickie in to do the work before you go any further, if it delays the job, so be it, i'm a brickie' would you let me fit your kitchen or rewire the house? do you think his brickwork will improve above ground, i don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back