Heating kicking in whilst off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time follower of the forum; first time poster!

I noticed recently that when my central heating is OFF (in other words, turned off at the control module [where you programme days/times for auto start etc.]), that the boiler still kicks into life, when I set temperature on my thermostat. Not just a case of kicking into life in terms of noise; but is actually then providing heat to the radiators.

Have diagnosed that the opposite way is NOT an issue (i.e. when I have the heating programme ON, but disengage the thermostat to minimum temp/Off position).

Worth noting that I recently replaced the Thermostat - but just a like for like replacement (Myson). Haven't tried anything to further diagnose as of yet - open to suggestions.

Happy to provide any more information.
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Hello and welcome to the forum. Let’s start by asking what type of boiler/system you have? Do you have zonal heating? What type of thermostat?

Hi CBW,

Boiler is a Potterton Performa System 12e.
Thermostat is Myson MRT1.
Timer-programmer Myson 2MEP 2c.

Hasn't been an issue before with the same combination. As mentioned, recently changed the thermostat (due to discolouration; not faulty) like-for-like. This is the first time I've noticed since installing.

Programmer heating side is OFF. When I switch thermostat to arbitrary temp (20), light comes on, boiler kicks into life and heat to radiators (all over house). No zonal heating - one thermostat for all users.

Ok, have a look at you’re motorised valve(s) - this will be what’s likely sending w switch live (on signal) to the boiler. If you’re unsure, post a photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, bit of a rookie with plumbing/heating (hence the post!) - where would I find this? What's likely to have caused this change, from simply changing the thermostat? Faulty wiring?

Sorry, bit of a rookie with plumbing/heating (hence the post!) - where would I find this? What's likely to have caused this change, from simply changing the thermostat? Faulty wiring?
Could just be a coincidence. It is located usually in the cylinder/airing cupboard.

Sequence is Usually on at the programmer, then providing the thermostat(s) for relevant area are calling these send a switch live to the motorised valve(s), which in turn send a switch live to fire the boiler and pump.

Could just be a coincidence. It is located usually in the cylinder/airing cupboard.

Sequence is Usually on at the programmer, then providing the thermostat(s) for relevant area are calling these send a switch live to the motorised valve(s), which in turn send a switch live to fire the boiler and pump.
If the sequence of the process is:
Spur live to programmer > switch live programmer (ON) to thermostat > switch live thermostat (ON) to motorised valve > switch live to MV to boiler > boiler on/heating.

The fact that I am able to turn the heating on with the thermostat switched live (programmer off, should break the circuit as per process above) - does this not indicate it is a wiring issue between programmer>thermostat as opposed to an issue thermostat>MV? In other words, I am essentially somehow getting a switched live to the thermostat, despite it not being sent from the programmer (since it is switched off)?

Edit:
As a function test of this, I tried putting the thermostat ON (neon light showing power), then disconnected the programmer from the wall (therefore, no switched live from programmer>thermostat). In doing so, the thermostat neon light switched off and the heating off too... therefore, it isn't as I theorised above.

I still can't get my head around how there is a switched live getting past the programmer when in the OFF position. Would this then not indicate a faulty programmer?

Last edited:
Could be a fault with the programmer then, if that’s sending a switch live out even though off (sticking relay) - this would need testing with equipment such as a multimeter or 2 pole voltage indicator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back