Hello every one. I want to replace the old ceiling rose with a new light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. How to safely replace this ceiling rose with new light. the arrangement of old ceiling rose has two blacks. one connected to blue and other to brown. which to connect which in new light which has very simple 3 cable inserts. Thank you
20231223_123016.jpg
20231223_123730.jpg

Sponsored Links
old ceiling rose has two blacks. one connected to blue and other to brown. which to connect which in new light which has very simple 3 cable inserts. Thank you
No, it has three blacks; two connected to brown and one connected to blue.

The brown and blue are the wrong way round.

So:

1703336544867.png

Thank you so much. if you can send the link for connector to buy that will be really helpful.

Just cut off one.

Sponsored Links
and label the wire that now connects to the blue drop cable as that is the switched live and not a neutral

1703340020421.png
The original rose had an error which is likely why you got it wrong. Also should have been a red or brown sleeve on the line from switch. I personally find trying to wire up a ceiling rose while holding the weight of the lamp hard. I used these Ceiling rose.jpg ceiling roses so I could wire lamp on the floor then lift up ready wired, it seems this make now discontinued but there are other makes.

The ceiling rose has a duel job in the UK, it acts as a junction box, and holds the lamp up. It means we have un-switched line at the rose handy for emergency lights and ceiling fans, but often as a result no neutral at the switch, so using smart switches is limited to a few makes not needing a neutral at the switch.

View attachment 326227 The original rose had an error which is likely why you got it wrong. Also should have been a red or brown sleeve on the line from switch. I personally find trying to wire up a ceiling rose while holding the weight of the lamp hard. I used these View attachment 326228 ceiling roses so I could wire lamp on the floor then lift up ready wired, it seems this make now discontinued but there are other makes.

The ceiling rose has a duel job in the UK, it acts as a junction box, and holds the lamp up. It means we have un-switched line at the rose handy for emergency lights and ceiling fans, but often as a result no neutral at the switch, so using smart switches is limited to a few makes not needing a neutral at the switch.
Hello, tried this arrangment and ceiling lights from other rooms plus new one were not working.

Dear experts, I gave this install another go today. The new lihgt turned on fine. But the other ceiling lights (in other two rooms are not turning on now). Please note the other tow rooms still have the ceiling rose with this setting (attached photo). Do I need to change the ceiling rose with another modern lights? It seems the blue and brown are plugged wrong.

Attachments

• 20231223_123016.jpg
    20231223_123016.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 37
That photo is the same one you posted 8 months ago.

If it worked before and now it doesn't you have wired the new light incorrectly.
Pictures of the NEW light wiring are required - old ones are unrelated.

Dear experts, I gave this install another go today. The new lihgt turned on fine. But the other ceiling lights (in other two rooms are not turning on now). Please note the other tow rooms still have the ceiling rose with this setting (attached photo). Do I need to change the ceiling rose with another modern lights? It seems the blue and brown are plugged wrong.
You’ve probably mixed up thd blacks in thd light that you have done. Do you have a two probe voltage tester?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back